Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #1 
Smilya767

Is my Betta Happy?

Hi, I have a purple and pink and alittle white boy betta. He lives in my room in a tank about the size of a toaster, or double. There is not alot of sun light in my room, where he sits on my dresser-- Every day he sits there, and I feed him alittle too much, about 10 pebbles at 7:05 in the morning and when i get home at 6:15, I wait until 8:00 to feed him about 5 pebbles. He dosnt have a fillter, and has room temp. water, about 70-80 f. He might be blind because he has neon pebbles and a neon multi colored plastic plant. I also clean his tank about once a week. Is he happy? Or is he sad, im not the best at fish, nor the worst.
Smilya767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You are feeding him too much. You should feed him 2-3 pellets, twice a day.The water temperature needs to be at 78-80 degrees, since bettas are tropical fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #3 
Smilya767

thankx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen
You are feeding him too much. You should feed him 2-3 pellets, twice a day.The water temperature needs to be at 78-80 degrees, since bettas are tropical fish.
thankx so much for you help! I thought there was somthing wrong with him not eating all the pelets. :) I am also thinking about a filter, do you know about them? How big they are? How big should I get? COST?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #4 
iamntbatman

Filters come in a huge array of types, sizes and expenses. Bettas generally don't like a lot of current in their tanks, so it's important to get a filter that either has little flow in the first place or has an adjustable flow rate. A sponge filter would work well, but it does take up some room inside the tank so you have to consider that. Regular hang-on-back style (HOB) power filters are also good, so long as you get one with an adjustable flow rate.

Here's a sponge filter:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydrosponge.html
And the air pump you'd need to run it:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperair1.html
And you'll need a few feet of this tubing:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/airlinetubing5.html
Aaaand a check valve:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/checkvalve.html

Depending on how big the tank is, you could use this power filter:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower4.html

Or this smaller one:
http://www.aquariumguys.com/nanofilter.html
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #5 
Haeclark

I've heard other people recommend a few more then 2-3 a day...I've hear some say 5-7, I even read one person who said total of 10 a day. Depends on the fish I think, but def not over 15 a day like you were.

Def not goof to over feed...but don't see the health benefit of a fish that's hunger is not fully satisfied either, so I generally go with 4 x2 a day. Blue seems to be very happy, and even still begs for me to give him some worms (he'd love it if I just gave only them to him everyday)

You can also switch out the pellets for treats such as blood worms (mine loves these) or brine shrimp, frozen freeze dried or fresh...up to you.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #6 
Meatpuppet

even though a betta can eat more its good to stop around 2-3 pellets 2X daily. bettas will eat until their blue in the face and they will get sick if you give them all they can eat. if you over feed there is a way higher chance constipation or swim bladder.
a bettas stomach is the size of their eyeball. so 15 pellets a day is def. way too much
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine 2 pellets twice a day and they seem to do ok.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #8 
Smilya767

Thank you all so much! This will really help me! Now, Macho Nacho will have a happier, cleaner, and warmer?!?! life! Thank you!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #9 
Vampure

Mine gets 4 pellets 2 x's a day if it helps any. He doesn't seen to like bloodworms though for some reason. Oh well, he'll get used to em or not. I hope he does cause from what I've read they're good for him and he needs em.
Vampure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas can be very picky. Some don't like bloodworms at all. Mine seem to like freeze-dried brine shrimp better than bloodworms, although they will eat bloodworms.