Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #1 
Ashy

Need Help ASAP plz

Okay, so. We have a Male betta, he was this gorgeous red color when we first got him. Was doing perfect, changed him once a week etc. Anyway, past 2 days he's been..fading colors. Literally. He isn't the red, but more of a whiteish color. Not all over, just the main part of his body. What is happening to him? Is he sick? Hes usually a great eater, but I dunno lately. :(
Ashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

how big is the tank? is it heated? filtered?
whats the temperature and water parameters?
what do you feed him and what is the water changing schedual?

sorry for the Q's but we need more info to help you.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #3 
Ashy

They never said we needed it heated or filtered or anything and I'm not exactly sure how big it is, its one of those glass bowels. He's been perfect in it up til now, so its got me puzzled. A friend suggested it could be "ick" but she wasn't even sure if Betta's could catch it. So I went searching and found this forum. I change his water once, sometimes twice a week. I feed him twice a day, 2-3 pellets each time.

Edited to add: Could it be Ich? Could it be he is stressed out from being next to our fiddler crab tank? We have them separated but still close. Is that possible?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #4 
onefish2fish

ich looks like grains of salt on the fish.

is it possible to post amonia,nitrite,nitrate,pH levels?
i doubt the fiddler tank has anything to do with it.

i can take a random guess and say it is bleaching from high levels of amonia

id recommend if possible to get him a 5 gallon tank set up, with a heater and filter ( not too strong because bettas dont like current, but an effective one ) and CYCLE the tank. then transfer him over.

there can be alot of things going on so a picture might help identify the problem.

id just recommend if possible the 5 gal, and keeping good water conditions.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #5 
Ashy

I have kept it clean and made sure to keep up on it. At the moment we don't have very much extra money so buying a bigger tank at the moment isn't an option, but doable in the foreseeable future.

Okay, this is weird. I have an update. So, I mentioned he was near the fiddler crabs. I switched him with the divider tank, and NOW he has his color back! That's just weird. Hmm.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #6 
Haeclark

huh that is odd...are the in the same tank [sounds like it by "divider"]?

Never heard of stress making them loose color...but wouldn't bee too entirely surprised with all the stuff it can cause harm to people! If stress can make our hair fall out, and people develop ichy rashes / ulcers, etc, would think it could also make a fish loose color if they can change color in the first place (after all, betas can and do sometimes change color) But glad to hear his color is back!

I went to Pecto today to get stuff for Blue...had to look at the other Betas...saw 2 that were see-threw! This also made their vains / organs semi visable...what could be wrong with them....or is that normal? Never heard of a semi see threw beta like that before until I saw them with my own eyes! Plus there was one at Walmart also semi-see threw! They weren't completely clear...but you could def make our guts and vines!
very strange!
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #7 
onefish2fish

im confused about the tank divider.
did you have the betta in a divided tank with fiddler crabs or you moved him into a divided tank with fiddler crabs?
if its not a water sealed divider this would not work at all. fiddler crabs need brackish low water.

and as for the "see thru bettas" my guess would be the conditions they are in.. picture it this way. . how would you like to live in your laundry hamper and sit in your own poopy and pee pee all day. yes they can survive-but they are not going to flourish
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #8 
Haeclark

that's pretty much what I figured, as the poor things dont look as attractive as the other ones. Thats why I got Blue, felt sorry for the poor guy. Got him at Walmart while getting cat food, etc.

poor guys.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #9 
Ashy

Yeah I got this one at Wal-Mart as well. He was the only pretty one I seen lol.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain very well. I have a total of four Betta Fishes. Originally, Bebo(the one who was losing color) was on the dresser, where the Fiddler crab tank also is. The other three, are on a different spot. I wanted to see if maybe that kind of place (there is a light on top for the crabs), was stressing/making him lose color so I put Bebo's bowl on the other place and put the tank with the divider in the middle (they sell these at Wal-mart & Petsmart) on the dresser with the crabs. So far so good.

I suck at explaining things Sorry for the confusion guys!

As I type, he's swimming and acting like his usual self. So I am thinking thats all it was, at least I'm hoping. He's got all his color back.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #10 

Could it be the light over the crabs is also making the water in the bettas bowl too warm? I would also be very careful of any spray type air freshners,perfume,hairsprays etc in the room. Is the fish eating all the food you offer? If not what falls to the bottom along with what he poos will cause ammonia to rise to the level that the fish slowly dies from ammonia poisoning. Hell even a rubbermaid tub would work temporarily until you can get a larger tank. Bottom line is Bettas and goldfish don't do well longterm in bowls. I would change it's water every twodays without fail with new water that has been treated with dechlorinator that neautralizes ammonia, chlorine ,and chloramines. I would make the new water close to same temp. as water in the bowl. I would keep the water in the bowl at 78 to 80 degrees and I would try and find a small filter for the bowl. I hope your fish remains on the mend.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote