Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #1 
missrandomnyss

One strange gill

I have recently (9/20/08) purchased a betta fish (named Scoober) as a new companion. He's from Petco and I picked him because he seemed the most brilliant in color and the most active. As soon as I got into the parking lot, however, I noticed that the edge of his left gill cover seemed to protrude strangely. I had been the last customer in the store before it closed so it was too late to take him back--and so I decided to take him home and care for him strange gill or no. He immediately adjusted to his new environment. He's very active and has a healthy appetite. After reading about Betta disease, I was afraid he had gill flukes--but he doesn't rub or flash against his aquatic plants. Then I thought maybe his previous environment had poor nitrate levels. If so, wouldn't both gills be inflamed? Then I thought maybe he has a gill infection. The gill is a bit red. I don't want to mis-diagnose and mis-treat him...so I thought I would get opinions/suggestions before adding a parasite remover/nitrate level fixer/ or anti-biotics. HELP! Even though he behaves in a healthy way, blows a bubble nest, and doesn't seem to breathe heavily, I want his strange gill to get fixed. ^_^ THANKS!
missrandomnyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

hi
how big is his tank? is it heated and/or filtered?
and is it possible to post a picture?
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote