Betta Fish Forum banner

water quality

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  alicia 
#1 ·
I have had bettas for 10 yrs., each lasting 3 yrs. My yr. old guy is not happy. I recently bought a new water conditioner and I think that might be the probem.
After changing the water, it soon appears cloudy, with a floating "oil like" substance on top, and looks gelatinous the next day. He is sluggish now but still eating.
Here are some particulars that I have always done.
I change the complete 1 gal. bowl water every week with "conditioned" week old water.
We have reverse osmosis water so I was advised to do this. I recall using a few drops into a gallon container that I cure for a week before using, however, the new conditioner instructs to use 2 capfuls to a gallon! Seems like a lot. The brand is: Bettaplus by Nutrafin.
My bowl is cleaned with thorough rinsings, however, I do have glass stones at the bottom. I just shake and rinse out any old food or wastes, then refill with the water. As I mentioned, I have been doing this for many years and not had a problem until my fish reached "old age".
Should I change conditioners? Should I boil the glass stones to be sure they are clean? I also have a "fake" plant, but that is thoroughly cleaned weekly.
HELP!!! I'm watching Skye become very inactive. He is either lying at the bottom or hanging on top of the water. His usual water bubbles are very few and I fear he isn't getting enough oxygen.
Also, should I have a cover on top of his bowl? I have had one, but took it off because of my latter concerns.
Thank you for reading my OCD worries..........

See less See more
#2 ·
I would change conditioners. I had the same problem when I used Stress coat water conditioner. Stress coat has aloe vera in it. I think Betta plus might have it too. I looked it up and I couldn't find anything that said aloe vera was in it but it says that it coats the fins and scales. Thats probably why the water is cloudy and oily looking.

#3 ·
If you are cleaning uneaten food from the bottom of the tank or bowl then you are feeding too much. If bettas are only fed once a week then they could be kept in a one gal bowl with weekly water changes otherwise partial water changes every other day would be needed For their long term health to remove the excess food you described.

#4 ·
first i'd do a water change to rid yourself of the poor water quality if you havnt already

personally i'd recommend a 5 gallon tank that is CYCLED for your betta if it is possible. i personally wouldnt add any water conditioner either. your using RO water and aging (doesnt remove heavy metals or chloramine but will remove chlorine if still used in your area) i think the RO in itself should be enough. is your plant plastic with any sharp edges or pieces on it? if this is the case i would remove it because of risk of shredding and ripping your bettas fins.

#5 ·
Straight RO water is not good foryour fish it lacks the trace elements needed by fish. It is ok for a portion of the water in the tank but should not be the only water in the tank. You must also make sure the mixture of ro and tap water is the same each time you change the water or PH could begin to fluctuate which will stress the fish.

#6 ·
Just to clarify

My tap water is RO, the pet store said I must use a water conditioner here.
Trust me, I don't even drink this stuff; only filtered water.
I'm leaning towards another conditioner.......I tried " bowl buddies" recently and liked it....any coments???
I have forgotten my first conditioner brand, but I know my 1st fishy lasted well over 3 years, so I must have been doing something right.

I doubt the food issue is a factor (6 dots/day) When I rinse out the bowl there is waste with few food leavings after a week.

I'm going to wwrite "BETTA PLUS" and ask why the water is so "jelly like" after one day...........will post if important.

Thank you all!

#9 ·
Flashygrrl. Is correct. You would in my view be better off mixing the RO water with tap water from a friend? in a rubbermaid tub and use this water for water changes. Conditioner would be needed to treat the water as a portion of it would contain tap water. You would need to add this water at water changes not all at once or the sudden PH swing could kill your pet. You would simply takke a litttle old water out and replace it with the RO/ tapwater mix. Over time your entire tank would become this mixture and no sudden Ph swings would occur.

#11 ·
Original poster could just use tapwater from a neighbor or friend and then all that would be needed is conditioner.If it is a particular ph they are aiming for then ro/tapwater could be helpful.

#12 ·
Bottled spring water could also be an option. I agree though, straight RO water is devoid of vitamins and minerals that your fish needs to be healthy.

You should use some sort of cover, as bettas are known to jump.

I would advise against doing 100% water changes. A 50% change twice a week is better as it's less stressful for the fish.

Like others have suggested, I would recommend getting a larger tank equipped with a low-flow filter and a heater. Anything 2.5 gallons and up would be great. I would also advise you to read up on the aquarium cycle and fully cycle the tank before moving the betta to his new home.

#13 ·
recommendations on filters?

hello, does anyone have recommendations for a good filter that has the options to set the flow? I'm reading how beta's dont really like current and i have searched online but since I am a newbie to this i dont want to go off buying something with out maybe getting some recommendations, anything will be appreciated! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.