Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 
Riverotter

Hello!

Hi all!

I've been keeping fish for a long time, started when I was 4. Two of my first jobs were at pet stores, and after a bit I was in charge of the fish at both of them - the freshwater sections anyway.

I've always been fascinated by aquaria, and for the longest time (and still) my love was closed loop systems. That and creating natural type habitats for different species.

But then, life interfered, as it will, and I've been tank-free for a few years. But we've been settled for a while now, and first it was a bowl here, and then a mini-tank there... and then my daughter found an orange veiltail betta and fell madly in love. I've always loved bettas and in the past, if I had tanks set up, I had at least one betta and usually more.

:) Not a fashionable opinion I know, but my favorites are the veiltails, and the spoons (lol, anyone here even remember those?)

Well, with my long standing love of Bettas and my daughter's new-found passion I realized that in all my years of fish-keeping, the one thing I'd never done was bred anything but livebearers, and those mostly just because I kept a school and made them happy, so they did what comes naturally.

My daughter is plenty old enough to study genetics - another long fascination of mine - and together we are embarking on a new phase, not just betta keeping, but breeding - on a small scale. We're pretty excited about it, and pulling out all my old stuff (and some new stuff, of course ;) ) and setting up a fish room. It's already been very rewarding, as my daughter studied the genetics of orange, and picked out a lovely little red female ... and then bought me a pretty blue/mustard gas pair.
She also has a pretty little crowntail female who is a pet.

A small collection for now, but we're hoping to see it grow by a lot this summer!
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Hello, welcome to the forum! I really like veiltails too, actually. There is just something about them I find so lovable.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum so happy to have you join us ! Wow sounds likes a great plan for you and your daughter, I wish you the best of luck in breeding and do keep us updated on how it goes. Post some pictures when you get a chance would love to see your lovely Bettas.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 
Riverotter

Thanks all!
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill