Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Lonely betta

Once I am done cycling my 5 gallon tank I think I want to get either a nitrite snail or african dwarf frog for my fish. She looks lonely and it seems I am only the one that keeps her company.

Will having one betta and one snail or frog be to much for my 5 gallon tank? I also don't want shrimp because I don't have any algae growing to feed it
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 
Kyurem150

Shrimp don't just eat algae. They scavenge for food and you can feed them blanched vegetables or algae wafers.
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #3 
jlllm

Hi,
I have a betta and 2 frogs. Some say the frogs need a minimum of 1 gallon of water per frog. They don't often get in each other's way and as long as they have plants or something to hid in when they want an escape they seem happy. I love snails but they are so messy! Plus some Bettas will snack on them!
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

Personally, I would go for the shrimp. You can give them algae wafers, or even drop in a few extra pellets and force them to sink to the bottom. I would just try to get some of the bigger shrimp, so they won't easily become snacks. My ghost shrimp are huge, and about the same size as my female betta. She hasn't touched them. Chases them sometimes, but she hasn't actually attacked them. My male betta, though, has nipped at a few of the ghosts. They're fine and don't seem to mind too much.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 
xShainax

No to the shrimp. Betta's love to eat them
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Get a large enough shrimp (ghost or Amano would be my suggestion) and provide enough hiding spots and you will have no problem... Also, your betta will be fine without a tank mate, they aren't humans, they don't get lonely...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

+1. Bettas do not get lonely. If he is bored, that can be cured by giving him new things to play with an explore - live plants are great because they grow, offering a constantly changing environment. A betta will appreciate this more than a shrimp (which it may eat) or a frog (which may nip his tail).
Also, our resident ADF expert, GizmoTheFreaky, does not recommend frogs as companions in less than 10 gallons.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #8 
Tabby216

Okay thanks for the advice guys!
I'm currently buying java fern, java moss including a moss ball in there. Maybe a log to keep her exploring. I don't want to buy a little guy and have them at risk of being eaten lol
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #9 
Laki

As for ADF's, they like company so you wold have to get at least 2 .. In a 5 gallon it would simply be too much. Not to mention the nipping and food competing. We all know that bettas like to have all the food to themselves!

That goes for algae wafers too, Ludendorff almost killed himself when he ate a whole wafer once.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote