Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 
betasoccer

Im trying something new i need opinions!!!!!

K so i have ben reading about bettas for the last week i have read many different techniques and i am trying something new...

I have a 10 gallon tank with heater,filter,gravel you know the basics.
I have made a 6 by6 by6 inch box that is surrounded by a net .I have the male in the tank and the female in the box.I put them both in the first day and they have seen each other plenty.A common meeting between the two is filled with the male flaring and showing off while the female stares at him.He immediately goes to the corner and blows bubble making a bubble nest.The female sits and watches him do this.They both eat healthely and it seems that they are fine.I might have bought a premature female seeing that she is smaller than him.The bubble nest continues to grow and i dont know when to take her out of the box to mate.
betasoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #2 
onefish2fish

im not completly sure but i think betas either mate or kill eachother lol
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

You shouldn't attempt spawning until you have done lots of research and really know what you are doing. You have to be prepared to take care of the fry and have food that they can eat, such as baby brine shrimp, microworms or vinegar eels. You also have to keep a close eye on the male and female during breeding to make sure he doesn't kill her.She could do damage to him, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #4 
Flashygrrl

Unless you've got about 50-100 jars, the means to hatch food for them, and the stomach to cull some of them when they don't turn out nice (petstore betta breedings rarely do) I'd put each betta into their own area and enjoy them :)

Besides...one or the other is probably too old to actually breed. Most store bettas are.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #5 
Kim

You have to make sure that the female has eggs before you put them together. To stimulate this, both bettas should be fed a special diet. I don't know the specifics, but everywhere I read says that you need to condition them for a while before you even think of putting them together. Flashygrrl was right about the food and jars. Bettas are really small when they are born and need to be fed tiny microscopic organisms. And, once they reach a certain age you will either have to separate them or find homes for them (and there will be quite a few).
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #6 
FlaNatural

Im trying something new i need opinions!!!!!

If you are ready to embark upon the great responsibility of betta breeding, (meaning you have done LOTS of research), then watch your female for signs that she is ready. If she is old enough, you will be able to see an egg spot and she will look a little fatter than usual. Some females (like mine named Thetta) will develop temporary dark vertical stripes on their bodies. When you think they are both ready, dedicate an entire day to keeping a close eye on them as they copulate. When they are done, she will have no more eggs and the male may attack and kill her. Or if they are not compatible, they will attack each other right away. A few nips are common, but you should be able to tell the difference between rough love and an attack to kill.
FlaNatural is offline   Reply With Quote