Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #11 
jloyer

I do use tap water so I made sure to get some water conditioner. My family has had bettas before but I don't think they lived longer than a few months. We never used conditioner so that was probably why
jloyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, well glad you did get it :D We did the same thing when I was young too except we had a 20 gallon tropical fish tank with like...everything in it >< We were those people haha jk. But yeah, I always fine that Conditioner and heater's are a must (well I live in New England and it can get real cold her at night so I need heaters even in the summer) for most cases. Of course that's different if you live in a warmer climate like you indicated.

But yeah, looks great and welcome to the forum :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #13 
xShainax

That's a gallon? That's fine then. :) I have a betta who is stressed in larger tanks in a heated one gallon.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #14 
jloyer

We kept them in less than gallon bowls before. I'm not sure how big but it was bigger than those cups that they keep them in the store. But I would'nt put them in anything smaller than what I have now. But I do plan on getting a heater and hopefully a bigger bowl/tank before winter comes around. Like I said I don't have an air conditioner so it's hot in the house I'm just afraid even if I got a tiny heater I'd fry him
Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #15 
jloyer

Yes it's a gallon. I wouldn't make him live in anything less than a gallon. He seems happy in it at least. But I would love to get something bigger for him someday hopefully soon
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

One gallon is fine... Provided that it is warm and clean enough. You really need a thermometer, you can't just feel it and say it's warm enough. I suggest heaters not only to keep the water warm but to keep the water at a stable temp. Also, in a one gallon tank, you should clean it at least every three days. Welcome to the forum!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #17 
jloyer

I will make sure it's clean. Like I said I plan on getting a thermometer and a heater
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #18 
Lodie

This is a perfect example of what I dislike the most about this forum. Everyone tries to be helpful, but the tank size issue is beaten to death! What better way to scare someone away from the forum and from potentially learning better and better ways to care for their fish than to hound them in one of their very first posts! If we were to all just congratulate a new member on their new fish and realize that ANY tank is better than the filthy, nasty cups these fish live in at the pet stores, most likely the member will stick around here and do enough reading to piece together what they need to give their fish an ideal home.

With that, let me say - Congratulations, jloyer, on your new fish. He's a beautiful boy. And thank you for rescuing another betta from his little prison cell. Stick around... there really is some great information to be learned here.
Lodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #19 
jloyer

To be fair, I didn't mention it was a 1 gallon bowl and they just thought it looked smaller. But yes, I have read many comments arguing about the size of whatever they live in. I do agree. And thank you
Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #20 
xShainax

See? I thought it was smaller than a gallon.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote