Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 
puplove52

Treat your bettas like children?

Hi. It seems like everyone here treats their bettas like children. I just have my betta sit in his bowl and I turn on his heat lamp every hour. So do you treat your bettas like children.
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 
LucidSong

I do. I can sit and talk to my boys for hours. They respond too by swiming in circles or flaring at me. I let them chase my finger around the walls of thier tanks. They are like children. And many have the neatest personalities you could ever find. Anywhere.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #3 
registereduser

I don't think anyone thinks that way seriously. When you have a pet you need to care for it to the best of your ability, that's all. It's not unusual to love a pet yet not as you would another human.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #4 
cheylillymama

Being that I have 2 children (daughters, 5 and 2) no I don't treat my fish use children. I treat them with respect as a living being who is dependant upon me. Their lives are my responsibility. I think many people take the responsibility of owning a pet far less seriously than they should. We run a dog rescue and the abuse and negligence is atrocious. I wish more people had the mentality to treat any pet "like their children". Id have a lot less dogs to home if they did. :(
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 
Darth

I think all the names are a bit overboard and a bit carried away..I love my fish but names for 400 plus fish isn't feasible..they do have designations.
This helps me keep track of the generations and the breeding lines.
Pretty much no Nonsense when it comes to my craft.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I wouldn't quite say I treat mine like children, but I definatly take care of them to the best of my ability and respect the fact that they are living beings that have certain needs. I don't keep mine in bowls, or without heaters, all of mine are treated properly and live in real, heated tanks. They are fed the best food possible. When you take a helpless being into your care, it is up to you to provide it with the best life possible.

So no, I don't treat them like children, I treat them like fish.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 05-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #7 
whiskandbowl

I don't treat my bettas like children (though sometimes I lovingly refer to my animals as my children)
I treat them as a living, breathing animal that has needs and I take care of them the best that I can- providing them with large planted tanks, quality food, and warm water.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by puplove52 View Post
Hi. It seems like everyone here treats their bettas like children. I just have my betta sit in his bowl and I turn on his heat lamp every hour. So do you treat your bettas like children.
I don't treat my betta any different than any other fish. they are just another fish.

There are a number of people that really dote on their bettas - treating them like their children? it sure would be good if parents took such an active roll in their kids well being. However, when I read about how closely some people monitor their bettas diet, I can't help but wonder if they or their kids are overweight. Ironic, it would be.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #9 
Agent13
Reference Team

As a mother of 2 young children I surely can say I don't treat them as I do my children. I treat them very well and they are very spoiled but I don't want to insult my parenting by likening it to how I care for a fish I care for in a 6 gallon tank. I absolutely do enjoy all the pets I have and do love them but I think only the dog is similar to the kids. She interacted with both of my kids in utero taught my son to walk and would sit with my daughter for hours quietly interacting about what they would see and that probably is the only reason why I would say she is more like a child to me then my fish.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #10 
LucidSong

I myself have no children. Don't want human children. So my petsn dogs cats, fish, they are my children persay.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote