Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #31 
bettacrazygirl86

I don't treat my fish like I would a child, but I do treat them like pets. I care for them like I could a cat or a dog, since they do rely on me for pretty much everything.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #32 
Jexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Jexx: Well, you know, if kids could not talk and did everything as they were supposed to, and did not turn out rotten when spoiled... They'd have it the same as our fish
ROFL. If this were true kids would be a lot easier to raise and I think a lot more ppl would have children XD
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #33 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
It's not so unique - Cichlids, goldfish, loaches, just to name a few, all share those qualities. Bettas are very personable, no doubt, but once you've kept cichlids and goldfish, you'll see what I mean
So true! I was just about to say this. I have two African Cichlids and I can promise Bettas are in fact not the only fish out there like this. I can trian my Bettas and they are cool but I have never watched Bettas rearrange a tank to their liking the same as my cichlids. I have never watched Bettas creating mountains and craters to use as the defining perch of their territorys that they won from each other. There is a whole world of cool and intelligent pets out there. I like to be open minded about this.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #34 
wish4coner

LOL..I talk to them, say excuse me when I have to go into their tank, feed them the best food, tank conditions, etc. Okay, so, I treat them better than the kids..lol..just kidding, kinda..lol
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #35 
Melodica

I suppose in a way my pets are kinda like children. I clean up after them, feed them, provide for them and take care of them. I never considered myself a fish person until I got my first betta. I love how interactive I can be with them. They aren't like a lot of fish that just dart away when you come up to the tank. They get happy and dance for me when I come over and talk to them.

I think it's okay to become very attached to your pets and take good care of them, but the people who treat their pets like humans take it too far. No, your dog does not need to eat off a plate at the table.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #36 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
Reality: My fish are treasured pets. All pets should be treasured. That is the purpose of a pet. If you aren't going to treasure and love your pet whether it be fish, cat or dog, than you shouldn't have a pet. Some animals are kept as service animals or a way of income. I understand that those animals are not treated like pets because they aren't. Unless you are a breeder, these fish don't fall into those categories and should be treated like an aquatic member of the family. They may have lower treatment standards than a human but they should have the highest treatment standards possible for a fish.
Well said.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #37 
trilobite

I treat my fish like fish not children lol a tank, some water and some food and theyre sorted. To be honest I dont think its right to treat any animal as if its a human. Enjoying their company is something I can quite easily do without viewing them as children.

Many people see fish more as ornaments instead of interactive pets, however you view them though and whatever reasons you keep them for, you should provide any animal in your care with a healthy life.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #38 
wish4coner

Personally, I think we are individuals and to each our own. I really thought this was a joking, light type of thread. I am logical--they are fish. My dog, is a dog. My cat, is a cat. However, they are God's creatures and I treat them as such. They are also a part of the family. A breeder can breed in many ways. I tend to breed with love and care, and it will show in the long run. That is my technique, and it makes me enjoy what I do.

However, you feel about your fish, or any pet is up to you, and really doesn't need criticism. Of course, this is MHO.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #39 
TurtleBarb

I don't anthropomorphize my fish or any other animal, but I do recognize them as beings deserving of my love, care and kindness. And that's what I give them. He does feel like a child to me. He is a dependent, feeling, interactive being whom I love and care for. He's not a human person, and I don't treat him like one, but I appreciate that he has an ability to feel, some level of intelligence and a personality. So he gets my love and compassion.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote