Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 
Trunkzdbz

Question Help! Is My Female Betta Pregnant?

Some one, any one please help, take a look at this picture taken a few days ago http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...php#aImage7809 please let me know if my female Betta is pregnant? I have a male red Betta Veiltail in the tank and he is really protective of her, he does not flare at her, he flares at the other female bettas in my tank, but not the one in question in this picture whom I believe to be pregnant. I don't think she has dropsy because she eats a lot and seems very active she even fights the other girls when it comes to feeding time when they are to close to her eating. Please tell me anyone if she is pregnant I need to know this so I can get another tank prepared for her when she gives birth, removing her from the tank with the other females so the male does not kill them all.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh hey there Trunkzdbz.

So Betta's can get Pregnant, they get eggy or filled with eggs. If you don't get that male out of there (Like had been suggested before) he will kill all the other females before they even get a chance to spawn and then either him or his female is going to die.

Also, none of the fry will actually survive since they will just be eaten by your other fish in there so no need to set up a 40 gallon breeder for the 200+ fry that you would otherwise be expecting.

Hope this helps!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 
Trunkzdbz

So did you look at the pic? Does that mean shes pregnant?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 
Corsica

Betta fish don't carry fertilized embryos so she is not pregnant. They can become "egg bound" though when around a male. Lilnaugrim's post should clarify the rest.

I can't see your photo but if you search "egg bound" on this forum you will find more information on how to potentially deal with it.

Good luck!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 
Trunkzdbz

The photo is the one under my name, the white female betta.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The link you gave is for your own login so we can't see anything.

Although I'm going to assume it's the Betta in your avatar, which is very Egg filled. Which is NOT good.

EDIT: by the way, your male has fin rot on his tail. And did you know that Betta's aren't supposed to have those stripes? Stripes mean Stress, so a healthy betta doesn't have those stripes. You won't see the stripes on the white betta though, but it doesn't mean she still isn't stressed.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #7 
Trunkzdbz

Right it is the avatar photo betta, what should I do guys if shes egg bound, I'm researching now online about egg bound, some people say to fast her for weeks so she can absorb the eggs, others say to put Epsom salt in the tank, I just don't know what to do please help, I love her lots and don't wan't to lose her?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Fast her and take the male out because it's going to happen again. You love her lots right? So if you don't want to lose her, you should take the male out and never put her in sight of another male again, alright?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #9 
Trunkzdbz

OK, I have a one gallon tank, I will put her in there today, now how long do I fast her for without killing her from starvation?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

NO, put HIM in the 1 gallon. She can stay in the 5 gallon.

Don't feed your tank for the next three days, when you start to see her slim down then you can put in a little more food. Betta's can live up to a month without food so don't worry, you're NOT going to starve her.