Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
GFarra

My betta is frightened soo much....what to do??

My tank is in the kitchen and today I had to have some plumbing work done. Workmen had to cutout a portion of the ceiling to repair a water leak. I covered the tank while they were working so that dust and dirt doesnt get into the tank. FYI.....the work was not being done directly above him....opposite side of the room

After uncovering the tank, my betta is frightened and skiddish. He is hiding behind the filter and has been in the same spot for 2-3 hours now. Not even food lured him out.

I've heard they can scare easily, but is this normal? He was breathing heavy earlier,but seems to be normal now. His side flippers are moving. But he wont move from his little hide out.

Thoughts??

Thanks, George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 
10asartin

Providing the tank wasn't too heavy it probably should have been moved to another room while the work was being done, but that is in the past. I would just suggest keeping the tank covered for the day as darkness can help calm him down.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 
GFarra

Yeah, I didnt think it would bother him soo much, I feel soo bad. Next time I'll relocate him to a quiet bedroom
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #4 
10asartin

We all make mistakes, but we always learn from them.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
GFarra

so my wife and I went out to dinner and when we got back Marley was out and swimming around. The minute he say me, he darted behind the filter.

I dropped a couple of pellets back there and he ate, which I guess is a good sign. what should I be doing to get him over his scared cat behavior???

TIA

George
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

The best way to get a betta to be less skittish is to provide them with plenty of cover. Lots of plants, real or fake (silk is best) will make him feel comfortable. Generally we put in enough to be aesthetically pleasing, but the more the better for most bettas. My fish also seem to enjoy a cave of some sort to hide in.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #7 
GFarra

He is in a 3 gallon with a good amount of silk plants which he always hid in. He had no issues coming up to me and flaring at me in the past. This morning he saw me and bolted behind the filter.

2 days ago he would follow my finger around his tank. I need to figure out how to get him comfy with me again

Thanks, George
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #8 
ZubinBetta

Do you happen to have an IAL (Indian almond leaf) to drop into the tank? IAL is soothing to bettas and can help calm ruffled feathers/fins. Also, can you leave Marley's care & feeding up to your wife for a while, until he is ready to accept your attention again? BTW, water changes that are too traumatic can frighten a fish, too, but they are necessary, as is plumbing.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote