Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Horrified and Upset

Yesterday, Sunny died of unknown causes. I had just finished a water change when he suddenly started flaring... upside down! In just a few seconds, my little ray of sunshine was dead. I am utterly confused.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Was the water the same or near the same temperature as his tank water?

I only asked because I also fried one of my Betta's, Gallifrey. The water seems warm to me so I thought it was okay, Let it cool for about an hour by my stick on thermometer which only went to 86 still wasn't reading it. So I figured heck with it! I'll just put him in! So took the net, scooped him up and plopped him in. Flared up instantly and went motionless. i freaked out and scooped him back out to put him into the cup I was using but it was too late I accidentally fried him, but it was certainly a learning experience.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Perhaps that was what I did... oh man I just killed 2 bettas in one week...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm very sorry Happyhobbit :( Don't worry though, now you'll know what not to do, that's how I took it as.

I was kind of horrified at Gallifrey's death that I went out to this sketchy pet store to buy a new betta since that was the only closet store that I knew of. I named the guy Scorch...after Gallifrey's death lol I'm a terrible person. After Scorch died...my dad turned the filter on not knowing that I had it off for a reason. Well Scorch was sucked up so I joked that my next Betta was going to be named Chop-Suey....yeah, I got Stony after that. I froze him because my heater died and I didn't know it. It was one of those 7.5 watt disk things. And then I got Rembrandt and he's been happy ever since! lol I finally did something right.

So anyway, through all that comes: we make mistakes sometimes and it really does suck and it hurts to see our friends leave because we messed up on something, but it makes you that much wiser for the future! It's the most I can offer you right now.

S.I.P. Sunny, I'm sure he's swimming under that beautiful rainbow bridge now being his old sparky self!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #5 
Riverotter

:( I'm very sorry you lost him. It's always sad. What I try to keep in mind is that I always learn from it, and they have a lot better life with me then they might somewhere else, or especially in the wild.
I read an old fishkeeping book where the author wrote that an aquarium keeper was a novice until he'd killed a thousand fish. It sounds absolutely awful, but I see the point he was trying to make.
It happens for every reason and no reason, and all we can do is learn from it.
<<<hug>>>
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #6 
Happyhobbit

Well yeah I guess youre right. At least I will have room to rescue another betta... Thanks for your support, guys.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You are always welcome :) You will give a very deserving Betta a very deserving home! Just keep your chin up how else are you going to look at those Betta's?