Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #1 
justmel

How many is to many for sorority?

How many ladies is to many for a temporary 10 gallon sorority? It's temporary because within a couple weeks they should be moving to a 29 gallon tank. Right now I have 6 in my 10 gallon. I have another 6 that are just about finished with QT. I can do daily water changes if needed. Is there anyway I can put all 12 in the 10 gallon for just a couple weeks? It's not permanent or even long term, but I really am not sure and would like to know about others experiences. Thank you
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

No you should not. There is not enough space (territory) and it will cause the 12 to get into a HUGE spat, which can and will result in injuries... And even death.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
justmel

Here's some pictures of the sorority as it stand now
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Personally 6 is the limit, 8 pushing it.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #5 
shellieca

I agree whole heartedly with Sena on this one. I had 12 at one point in my 46g & felt like I was pushing it, there's no way I would put that many into a 10g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6 
justmel

I trust Sena's word. I've heard a lot of good things about her on here & just like everyone else the top concern is for the bettas. Thank you both for you answers. I was hoping not to have to set up another tank until I could get the 29 gallon ready, but it's not worth the chance. I have an empty 10 gallon, so I will make sure that's clean & hope I have enough plants to stock it. If not I guess the ladies will just stay in QT longer.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #7 
shellieca

Glad to hear it! Let us know how it goes once you release them into the 29g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Meh, though quarantine means more work for you But it will be better in the long run.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #9 
justmel

Yeah, it will be more work for me. I have 12 bettas in QT & 2 females healing from a fight (one escaped the breeder box & tore into her nemesis), plus 2 rescues I picked up this weekend. That's why I was hoping they could go together for a short time in the 10 gallon. I love all my bettas though & it's not worth putting them through that. A little more works means a few more burnt calories & will just help on my diet. :) I've dug up enough hides for a second 10 gallon, now just if I can dig up enough plants.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, it depends on how your females behave, whether the tank would be able to cope with the bioload that number of females without causing an ammonia spike, and whether you have adequate cover to provide everyone with space to get away.

I think I had 10 females or more when I had a 10 gallon sorority tank and no one ever fought in there. There would be minor disputes, but it never descended into chaos. I personally like overstocking sororities because there is so many fish and so many distractions that whatever fights occur are usually inconsequential.

The only thing you have to be concerned about with overstocking any tank is that your water quality is perfect. If you overstock and don't maintain the tank properly, then this can cause stress and this is when you will start to see problems.

There are no hard or fast rules about sororities, just guidelines based on people's personal experiences.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote