Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #1 
Haeclark

Tear in Cadual fin & possible bump...

Noticed yesterday my Blue has a tear in his Cadual fin near the start of it...not quit center, a little above.

Can bad water ph be a cause of this? I have yet to get a test kit, as Im broke until next payday, so not sure what his water is like for sure. I have been doing about 30% water changes every other day now. I got him 8/28...but didnt fin out until about a week after about cycling his tank, so he should be nearing tank cycle by now. He has fakes plants in his tank...not solid plastic, but felt "leaves". Could the ends of these be the real cooperate? I felt them with finger-tip, and not really sharp, but are pointy. Seemed soft enough...but not positive.

Also noticed today today when I got home from work that he has a very small bump on the right side of his head, above, but between his eye and gill. Not white, or colored, same as rest of head color (black), but wasnt there before either. Im going to go take a pic now to post...but might not be posted until later.

He's in a 2.5 gal tank, with whisper filter. His light keeps him steady between 78-80 degrees, and I feed him Tera Tropical Beta Flakes twice a day, only a small pinch both times (use to be Beta pellets, 3-4 x2-a-day, but he doesn't like them anymore...just spits them out). Every other day I'll substitute the flakes for his favorite blood worms, otherwise I'll only give him 1-2 worms from my pinched fingers, as a special treat (not every day, but pretty close).
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #2 
Haeclark

Update on Blue

So his fin seems to be healing fine on it's own, and his "bump" seems to have gone away [if ever really was a bump in first place]...So Blue seems to be doing ok. His appetite still healthy, and behavior still same as usual [hasnt slow or sped up in activity]

Got a 6 week test reader suction mounter 9/22 that reads levels of Ph & Ammonia levels in tank up to 4-6 weeks. The Ammonia levels check out normal [yellower then our pee!] yet Im having a hard time determining the Ph level.
Def not below 7.6 as its not very green or turquoise tinted, but more blue. Dosent seem to be solid blue, so dont thinks its the max of 8.6 either. Its either 8.4 or 7.8. Could this have anything to do with his tank not being fully cycles yet?

I wasn't aware of fish less tank cycles before I got Blue, and wasn't until after 9/14 [last time I did 2nd 100% water change] that his tank cycle really started, so he's now in week 2 of tank cycle /establishing his water.

I am aware of Ph level increase/ decreasers, but am between paychecks ATM...and bills completely wiped me out of cash...so are there any quick fixes until next week? Or should I look into borrowing some money from some1 to get a bottle of Ph level decreaser?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #3 
Little-Fizz

Theres really no point in altering your pH. Its not going to bother your fish, and it might not even work.

Unless you think its going to harm your fish don't mess with it.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #4 
Haeclark

alright...thanks. Just heard they preferred it a bit lower, but if it sounds ok, then I'd rather not mess with it. I dont want to harm him, but just making sure leaving as was wouldn't either. ;D