Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #1 
alicia

I found my poor Beta out of his bowl! Tips? Help?

So my bf went over to check on our little beta and he was missing! We had bought him a new home earlier that day and I think we over filled it with water so those two changes might of made him confused and cause him to jump out. After a desperate search we finally found him (such a sad scene :( and put him back into his tank and did whatever we thought was necessary, we lowered the water level, added more water conditioner and tried to feed him some. Are there any other recommendations I can do to assure he recuperates completely? I donít want to see that he didnít survive that horrible incident, I feel like such a horrible mother!
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #2 
misty991

You shouldn't put conditioner in after the fish is in the water.
misty991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #3 
peubanksbarrow

Alicia, I am by no means an expert but you can google betta jumping and read all about this. Do you know how long he was out of the bowl? How far he fell?

I think it is really a wait-and-see situation. Fortunately leaving the bowl too full or uncovered is a mistake you make once. Now you know the consequences.

We upgraded to a 2.5 gallon tank for our boys and they have responded beautifully. Get a tank with a filter, add a heater and use the lid.

Good luck!
peubanksbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You need a lid on the container that you keep your fish in. They DO like to jump. I have a betta that was given to me by my cousin, whose bowl had been knocked oover by their cat. Its been 9 months since I got him and he's doing well, except for some swimbladder issues . I think the fall damaged his swimbladder but he eats good and blows bubbles. So they CAN survive falls. Keep his water clean and keep an eye on him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #5 
alicia

well thanks for the tips, yeah i guess i'm going to have to learn from my mistakes but i have read other post and there is a lot of info that i had no idea about so now i'm learning more on how to make my little beta happier :) Oh and he is doing well!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad to hear that he's doing well. :)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #7 
alicia

happy bubbles?

hmmm should i be worried if i dont see bubbles like the ones everyone mentions about their betas? my beta (Philip) is a very active one and he eats well but for some reason i dont think i see the bubbles people mention that indicate that the beta is happy :(
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #8 
Vampure

Mine doesn't blow bubbles either, but the bubbles, from what I've read, are a sign that he's ready to mate. I don't know if there's a certain age or something they reach or what conditions but mine doesn't blow them either and he seems to be doing perfectly well. Just a lil info from someone who's Betta does (well doesn't) do the same thing.
Vampure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was wondering, too, if they stop blowing bubbles when they get too old to mate. My rescue betta blows bubbles but they are scattered around and my crowntail doesn't blow bubbles at all.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #10 
alicia

oooh so maybe when people say that blowing bubbles means they are "happy" they mean it in a different way? ha ok well as long as they are active and still eating well i shouldnt have much to worry about i hope, I just felt maybe I wasnt doing something right to make my betta happy :)