Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #1 
Jexx

Changed lights in aquarium and now female is freaking out :(

So previously I had 50/50 lights because didn't know they were for reef. I bought ultra sun 6500k 10w bulbs yesterday and replaced all my aquarium lights. All of my other bettas are quite happy with the new lights and actually have been more active. obviously my plants are happier too. My female however has taken to hiding and won't come out. Any time I come to the tank to look at her and put my finger to the tank she freaks out. Partially clamped fins, stress stripes, swims like a maniac. She has never done this before. She was my most personal betta. I don't understand what happened. She comes out to eat and then darts back to hiding. She won't even show off for Galileo.
She is in a 5.5, the temp is 80, she is the only inhabitant but her tank is next to one of my males Galileo and usually she loves to show off for him. Parameters are perfect 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

The lights may be too bright for her. I have a male I had to put into a 5g tank with LED lighting & he hides in his cave if I have the light on. Fortunately for me this particular tank has not real plants so lights on is not an issue. Have you tried leaving the lights off for a while to see what she does?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 
Jexx

ahhh. Of course there are always simple solutions. I didn't actually even think of doing that...
I'm gonna go ahead and try it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I hope its that simple. I have 50/50 65000k in my tanks & none of the boys seem to mind its just this one with the LED lights but then he gets mad if I re-arrange his tank so he's a little picky.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #5 
Jexx

so i turned off the light and she is out and about :( I can't change her light back because I had to switch her lid too. She had a hood before with a light bulb in it but I had to put that on Sesshomaru's tank since he has live plants and needed the new ultra sun light. Now she has a versa top with a strip light. Its a single 14w t8. The strange thing is, she had it before and was fine with it. I had to put it on another tank with plants for a while so I guess she got used to the blue light. I wonder if I can replace the lamp with a blue one on the strip light?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well I'm glad it was as simple as turning off the light. Does her tank have plants? I have to two tanks that I don't even bother with lighting because they don't have real plants & they're in locations they get plenty of indirect light from windows. I would imagine you could find the lighting you want if the tank needs a light.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 
Jexx

The only live plant in there is a moss ball. I was planning on converting all my tanks to planted but if it stresses her out I won't. She has many silk plants that she can hide in and lay on. I like the lights for viewing purposes thats all. I don't know. She is hiding again even with the lights off. I'll give her a few days and see. I hope there isn't something wrong with her..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #8 
Jexx

Alright, so its been over a day with no lights other than the day light in the room. This morning she was still acting strange. she would just float in one spot in the middle of the tank. Then when she moved to another spot, she wasn't really swimming, just floating.. like a ghost almost it was weird. There was nothing visible wrong with her but something was off. I tested the water, still prams were perfect. I decided to do a water change anyway. changed 70% As I was refilling the tank, she came out of hiding and started investigating and swimming normally. I added stresscoat and blackwater extract to her water and turned up the heater. The temp in the tank is 82 the water is nicely browned and only natural light. She is acting much better now. wiggling her tail when she swims, moving through out, looking around. I don't know what the problem was... I think it was more than the lights. Changing the water seemed to have helped. Odd.