Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 
ArrowheadShark

New member and owner :'D

Warning: I love to write ;w;''' (and read, for that matter xD)

I'll start off with a greeting - I am a human by the online-name of Mira, proudly owned by one Betta Fish named Shark, one Leopard Gecko named Bingo, and a hamster named Mouse, at my mom's and dorm room. At my dad's are two Miniature Schnauzers who have been with me all my life - Frey and Luna, and at my friend's place a state away where I will be spending my summer is another love of my life, Ranger the mustang, as well as his herd-buddies.

But I'm here, of course, to talk about Shark ;D
I've been doing my research, though I'm hitting my head because I was a niave first-time fish owner and saw the phrase "Cycle the cage" and went; 'I should look that up - naaahhhhhh' ;_; i'm so sorry Shark. I know for next time. I've been googling everything I can think of about Betta fish, as well as going thread-hopping wherever google search decides to take me, or if I see an unfamiliar term I go look it up.

Info I know about Shark, so far;
I got him from petco last Saturday, so May 11th, unless my math is really that horrid. I actually met him on Friday, when I stopped in to buy crickets for Bingo, and stopped by the betta section. I admit, I was happy that all their betta seemed healthy and had dividers in them, but now I'm not so happy after some deeper research and knowledge about the heaters and all sorts of wonderful things like ammonia build-up and whatnot. Anyways, I didn't pick Shark out for his color or breed - I dare to say he actually chose me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He would follow my finger around the cup, and when we first locked gazes he sort of wriggled around. Gosh that sounds so cheesy, but there you have it xD

So, I bought a 3 gallon tub-aquarium with a hood, got my crickets for Bingo, and hoped in the car declaring if I couldn't get a betta, I could at least use the pet-carrier for transporting Bingo or Mouse.

I had to wait on getting a betta, because I first had to ask my friend (who I will be staying at her house over the summer) Linda if I could have a fish at all. She said yes, obviously >w<

Ooookkkkkk I'm writing a novel sorry ;-; I will shorten things up from here on out

So, Shark. I was really surprised that he wasn't 'freaking out' once we took him home. Actually, while he was still in his cup and I fed him, he took food from my fingertip and jumped from the water to snatch one off my finger. He most certainly seems to love his cage, even though I don't have any nice hidey-plants in it yet. There are three betta bulbs we're waiting on to grow, and a small plastic neon pink plant. I was iffy on putting it in, since I was worried it could snag his fins, so I've been keeping a close watch on him. He's very active - he loves swimming around, and I never know where he's going to be when I look in the cage. There's a small Air Tech K20 sponge filter in his cage he likes to hide behind(which freaked out new-mother me at first, since I was afraid he'd get stuck behind it), and he'll occasionally watch the bubbles it makes.

He was nameless for the first three days or so, and I was debating on naming him Sada, Arrowhead, or Shark. Shark was really random - I'm still not sure how I came to call him it. I just started calling him that one night and it seemed to suit him, and it stuck. Arrowhead came from his shape - he's a double tale male, and when he fans out (which is pretty much always, though a sort of relaxed fanning, not hyper-active) he looks just like an arrowhead.

When I first got him, he was a very pale white-cream color, with sort of a slight irridescent pinkish hue to his body and fins, and would change rainbowy colors depending on how the light hit him, or if he caught a glint of sunlight. I've been doing some research on Betta's color-changing, because I've been watching him darken up, which I'm also pleased because I'm taking it as a sign of good health, added to his activity and curiosity, and appetite. Now he has a definite greenish cast to his body, and a soft grayish-dark splash forming on his fins.

I was actually paranoid at first when the dark appeared, because I was afraid it could be fin rot. His fins looked fantastic, though, save for today I noticed the anal fin has some frayed tips at the end. I'm thinking either ammonia burn or the plastic plant. I want to do a water change tomorrow, 25% or 50%, though I'm getting all sorts of different ways you're 'supposed' to manage the changing of a 3-gallon ;-;

I do not have a heater or a water-testing kit yet, but they are on my priority-to-get list. Conveniently, my birthday is coming up, which is how I procured the filter in his cage xD

His water is crystal clear - well, maybe I shouldn't go so far as to say crystal clear, as that's pretty high-standard from what little of fish keeping I know, but I'm happy it's really clear :D There was a day or two it was really foggy, and I heard(well, read) someone mention that as 'New Tank Syndrom.'

So in short... I've been stalking this website, and finally decided to make an account on it since I kept ending up here as I did research and searched things. I really wanted to just kinda blabber on about Shark xD''' Most my friend's go "Oh cool you got a fish" and that is the end of discussion. I'm excited, because one of my dorm-mates is getting herself a fish this weekend, though she/he will not be coming to the dorms.

MmmmmmmmmMMMmMMMMMMMmmm I HAVE NO REGRETS. *Types more*
I identify in no way as a betta expert(If anything, call me out for hamsters, though even then I'm no expert, but we've kept hamsters for about six or eight years.), and I am always open for advice from people with more experience. I know it was a big mistake to overlook the water-cycling, and a heater and water test kit are need-to-gets I don't have yet. If anyone has any good recomendations on brands or anything, that would be great!

Ahhhh, that reminds me - feeding Shark. I have two different types of betta pellet food, one Aqueon brand and the other Aqua Culture. I would say the AC is better, since it's got a higher crude protein, though Shark most certainly prefers his little Aqueon pellets versus the big bites the AC are.

As for pictures - I'd say coming soon, but I am honestly the worst person for taking pictures. Not that they turn out bad, just that I rarely take them in the first place XD' S' why my friends hate it when I go on vacation and trips - no photo's to show for it, just stories. And drawings. Oh! I drew a rough picture sketch of shark, I can give you that.

OK ok ok ok ok I'm done typing now.

.......I intend on teaching Shark tricks, if he'll do them. He seems like he would like to play games. Especially if his favorite treat so far is involved - OK I'M DONE.
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 
ArrowheadShark

Oooohhhhh, now I find it, the introducing section DD': Is there any way to move this thread into there? Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Mira

Welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread for you. Good luck with your Shark training :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #4 
ArrowheadShark

Thank-you! And I see what you did there.... Shark Training, hehe, xD

0_0 every time I look at him, I swear he's got more of his color spreading about. I'm guessing that's just his 'true colors' showing, but he's starting to get this pretty blueish hue spreading across his fins. Very faint and sort of pastelly, but I'm curious to see how his colors change - It's a real surprise to me, I never thought about their colors changing.

Right now he's busy admiring the bubbles the filter makes XD I swear he watches them like one would watch a movie.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello Mira an welcome to the forum so nice to have you join us ! Shark sounds amazing and to tell you the truth Bettas are amazing, they are so smart that some of the things they do have to seen to believed, well that is for people who dont have Bettas, the people here will believe it cause they have seen it all...lol

As to what type of heater I think your best bet would to be get a adjustable one since you and controls the temp better. There are a few good brands people like and I have and love my Elite adjustable heater, I ordered it from Amazon at a fairly good price. I have the 50 watt for my 5 gallon and for your 3 gallon you could get the 25 watt and I keep mine set to 79 degrees and the temp stays very stable which is what you want in a heater.

As for cycling you tank and water changes I am adding a couple of links to the information we have here so you can check those out, the smaller the tank the more difficult it can be to cycle but many here have cycled a 3 gallon tank. I cycled my 5 gallon with the help of some of our great members, I did a fish in cycle which is where your Betta is in the tank while it cycles. The main issue is you have to be very careful and do it safely for your Betta. Just check out the links and decide which route you want to go.

I hope you enjoy your time here and these are the links I mentioned before.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ations-115758/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 
Auburn Sakura

Hello, wlecome, Mira. I love writing and art myself. :D Nice picture of Shark, by the way. ^.^ Oh, just to let you know, those betta bulbs might not grow, I got a pack once and only two grew, one died on-top of it. But I think that was the fault of snails in the tank. XD But anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay here! :D
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 
ArrowheadShark

Thank-you for the heater recommendation, Perseusmom :'D That's been put on my to-get list, along with one of the in-tank glass thermometers.

I just got done doing a 100% water change. I was originally only going to do a 50 or 25%, but I'm feeling really paranoid about ammonia build-up since I can't check the levels until I get a test kit. I've heard some people say doing 100% is bad, while others recmomend it once or twice a week for a tank my size with a filter.

I'm thinking of setting up some routines like this;
Feed twice daily, fast him on wednesdays. Water changes 50% twice a week? Does that sound good? I'm thinking I want to avoid doing the 100% ones, but still not sure. Shark certainly doesn't seem to mind his new water right now - he was just happy to get out of his floating cup xD He's back to patrolling his territory and being his usual self. He most defintely loves having the larger space to swim around, he certainly makes use of every inch of water he can get. I'd love to get him a larger tank someday, but for now the 3 gallon is what I can give him.

I removed his plastic plant - I think it put a tear on the tip of his anal fin, and I don't want it to get any worse. Sorry, Shark - you'll have to make due hiding behind your rocks.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :'D

Aburn, do you know how long it takes until you start to see signs of the bulbs growing? It's been a week for me - should I be seeing some growth at all? One of the bulbs I think has started growing, not sure on the other two. *Peeks at them* Hrmrmmmn, maybe all three are growing, or maybe I'm just too hopeful.

I don't have any snails or other critters in his tank, though I like the idea of getting Shark a tank-mate, that is definitely not a now thing. Besides, he seems to like his little territory all to himself, and if he's happy now I don't want to mess things up.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome. Your routine sounds good. No you really dont have to do the 100 percent water change since you have a filtered tank. Do you have a gravel vacuum ? Those are worth their weight in gold and I just use a simple one I got at my local pet shop for like 8 dollars. So for one of the 50 percent water changes you will want to use the gravel vacuum to clean around the bottom of the tank.

Shark sounds very happy and healthy and making himself right at home, that is so awesome, I know you are having a blast watching him patrol his territory, my guy does that too, so much fun to watch !

Yeah no rush about getting anymore critters to put in the tank unless you just want to add a snail or something. I have a few pond snails that came with some live plants I bought and Perseus doesnt really like them to mess with his stuff, he knocks them off the walls of his home and his plants...lololol
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 
Auburn Sakura

You're welcome for the welcome! XD

And I'm not sure, I think it depends on the plants. But a week? You might just have a dud pack... I'm not sure. Maybe wait a little while longer before ousting them. There might still be hope! :D

And ah, a tank-mate would be cool. Depends on what though. Shark might just eat his. Shrimp are very risky, just as a warning. Two of our bettas made a meal of them. Glad he's happy though! ^.^ :)
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #10 
ArrowheadShark

Perseus: Poor snails! I feel so bad for having to laugh at that, it seems such a funny sight to think about. I was just looking at a gravel vaccum not too long ago - is it possible to make your own, or do you have to buy one? On that note, let me go google that. -Yeeessss, my preccccioussss, it issss posssible~ Well, then :D

Auburn: I would think shrimp to be a no-brainer of 'EAT MEEEE,' seeing as I've heard brine shrimp used as a treat for bettas. I feel like if Shark had a snail in his tank, he would antagonize the poor critter - he'd just want to play and do stuff, and the snail wouldn't swim around with him. I'm not sure the norm for betta's speeds, but Shark is pretty fast, I think! He zips around his cage in the blink of an eye Granted, it's only a little 3 gal, but still. Blink - where did Shark go?

The package said if the bulbs didn't grow within 30 days they'd send me a new one. So i'm holding out hope - I know we've had luck with them before in the past.

I just saw a post where someone linked to the R2 Fish school I think it's called - teach your fish to play all these games like soccer and fetch and swimming through hoops! I bet Shark would love something like that, but I'd really like him to play games for the enjoyment of playing them, not just because he wants food. (I know, I have such high hopes)

Tags
introduction, new betta, new betta owner, not rambling!, rambling, shark, watermelons!!!!!!!!!