Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #1 
Trunkzdbz

How To Change The Water In My 30 Gallon Aquarium

I am worried about water changes in my 30 gallon, I was just given my 30 gallon and am wondering, when my water starts to get dirty and I need to change it how do I add water with out changing the temp of my water in the aquarium already? I keep my aquariums water at a perfect 80%, I know I'm suppose to let the new water I prepare get to room temp but still what if it raises the water temp too high and kills all my fish or to low, or just low enough to stress all my fish, worse put them all into shock and kill them I will be adding only 5 gallons of water every week because that is what I plan to siphon out every week? I really need to know how to avoid temp variations that during water changes can stress or worse yet even kill my fish? How do I know the water I'm putting in is at a perfect 80% just like the water in my aquarium, like that I don't stress or even kill my fish. I plan on buying two discus fish too they cost $70 each I sure as hell don't want to kill them? Please help!!!
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #2 
Backlash

There are several methods.. This is probably the quickest and easiest..

Buy a few 2.5 gallon (10 litre) buckets..

Fill the buckets with cold and hot water (from your hot water tap/faucet or by heating in a kettle) until you get 80 degrees F.. Measure with an aquarium thermometer.. Add your water conditioner to the buckets before adding them to your aquarium..

As for the Discus.. Don't you think that it would be a better idea to separate your male Betta from your females, (put the females and the pleco in the 30 gal.) thus creating a safer environment for the fish you already have??

Mark..
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unless you have a specially set up tank 5g per week isn't a big enough water change IMO. You should do ~50% per week. There are minerals & such that need to be replenished & water changes keep nitrates in check. All I do is run my tap water into a 5g bucket, adjusting the hot & cold to get the temp I want. You can use a thermometer if you want but I just go by feel. For my 46g tank I use a water changer instead of buckets. The water doesn't have to be the exact same temp but does need to be close +\- a couple degrees. Also if this is a new tank you should be testing the water daily with a liquid test kit & doing water changes if the ammonia or nitrites are .5 or greater which could be daily.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

I've read that if you have shrimp you shouldn't use the hot water tap because of possible copper from the hot water heater. But I could be wrong.

I microwave a large bowl of water to boiling and add to cold water until temperature is 2 degrees above tank temperature.

With small changes, I set a gallon jug in a sink of hot water and monitor temperature in jug.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 
Trunkzdbz

I already have the male separated in my 1 gallon, the females are all alone in the 5 gallon, when my 30 gallon is ready I will be placing the male in the 5 gallon all just for him, and then all the females in the 30 gallon with the discus. My male Betta has killed every fish I have put him with except for the female Bettas, he has killed two mollies, 6 Neon Tetras, and 3 Tiger Barbs, he a serial killer fishy lol, so he has to live alone in his 5 gallon he should be happy there, my female Bettas and Pleco will live in my 30 gallon with some Discus, Neon Teras, ghost shrimp and two Gold Mystery Snails.

Last edited by Trunkzdbz; 05-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 
jentralala
Reference Team

I really would advise against discus. They are very, very difficult fish to care for, and need a tank much bigger than 30 gallons (thinking 75+) as they get quite large, and they need a school of at least 5.

They are incredibly sensitive to water parameters, and most people who keep them do at least 3x 50% water changes per week.
There are people who even do 50% or larger water changes every day with this fish, as they just can't handle dirty water.

They are also sedate fish, that your bettas could easily pick on and kill.

As for temperature, I fill my tank directly from the tap with cool water after a 50% water change, slowly, to imitate rainfall. It triggers spawning in my fish.

Instead of buying more fish, buy the supplies you need. API Liquid Master Test Kit, a Water Changer (Python is a good one) if you don't want to mess with buckets, a large enough heater, and a good adjustable filter. Make sure your bulb is compatible for live plants, and maybe look into getting a fertilizer. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement is a good one.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

I like Flourish Comprehensive but use 1/2 strength (or less) because of the shrimp.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #8 
jentralala
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I like Flourish Comprehensive but use 1/2 strength (or less) because of the shrimp.
I've never heard a case of Flourish affecting shrimp. I actually overdose a bit, and fertilize 2x a week in my tank with Cherries. It's such a minute amount of copper and it gets sucked up so fast by the plants it can't really affect the shrimpies. :)
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

My one conservative gene raising it's ugly head.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #10 
Trunkzdbz

I have everything my fishys need a Aqueon Siphon I use a 5 gallon bucket does not bother me to carry 5 gallons, I like to lift weights have all my life and carrying the bucket just makes my pecs bigger and my biceps look more sweet lady's love me, and I love the lady's. LOL! I also have the API Test Strips, many people tell me to buy the Master API Test Kit, but I like the strips just dip them in the aquarium wait 10 seconds and boom you have your results, many people say the strips are not accurate but I have not had any problems with them and there easy to use and just dispose of when finished. I have LED lighting in my 5 gallon and all 8 of my banana plants have exploded with leaves that measure 3 inch's no lie check my aquarium pics and see, and in my 30 gallon I have fluorescent lighting which is also awesome for my banana plants. I love banana plants because their so easy to deal with just dump them in the aquarium and that's it, no need to bury them or anything and they look spectacular. I have the best of the best for my fishy water API Dechlorinator, API Stress Drops, Tetra Bio Bags, Acurel Activated Carbon, Seachem Purigen, Spectrum Betta Pellets, Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Algae Wafers, Driftwood, Live Rocks, Live Plants, huge 30 gallon tank and more. I use AquaClear Power filters on all my aquariums the AquaClear 20 on my 5 gallon and the AquaClear 50 on my 30 gallon.http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...c901e_full.jpg Check out all the supplies I have in this link the pic shows all the supplies piled high near my aquarium.

Last edited by Trunkzdbz; 05-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.