Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1 
LittleDeer

Fin Split

A friend of mine recently got a Half-Moon Male. When he first put him in the tank (moved from a two gallon to a ten) he had been swimming around frantically (I wasn't there so I'm not sure what happened). It seems that he somehow split his tail clean in half through the middle. I told him to make sure to keep the water as clean as possible and his Betta seems to have calmed down and is acting pretty normal.

Will the tail split be able to heal completely back together again? It's a clean split from tip to base. Should he add any medications or is keeping the water clean all he needs. There are no other fish in the tank and I told him to take the plastic plants out just in case, but my friend seems adamant that the fish didn't hurt himself on the plants. Can swimming too frantically actually cause fins to split? The fish is otherwise completely healthy, vibrant, active, and eating just fine. He's acting as if nothing happened, so I don't think he's stressed or in pain at this point. He's even started making a bubble nest in the new tank.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If he was flaring, he could have split his fin in two but not swimming too frantically. There might have been a possibility the water was a little too hot? Make sure your friend has a thermometer at least for when he does water changes :)

Also some fish will get stressed out in too much space, I have a Betta that needs to be in a 3 gallon otherwise he freaks out, he hated it in the 5.5 so I had to move him back to the 3 to get him to calm down.

Best thing to do is add in some Stress Coat conditioner to help heal up his fins and yes keep the water warm and clean. But make sure he watches out for any sign of redness or black, or more splitting because if it reaches into the body then there is a problem.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #3 
LittleDeer

I'm a little bit confused as to how flaring would effect his tail. The water was definitely not too hot. It's been at 78-80 since the tank was first set up.

Okay. I've told him before to watch out for color changes in the fin and make sure it doesn't get any worse. I'll tell him to get some Stress Coat as well. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Flaring too hard can cause the fins to get pinholes or in extreme cases, split. It's basically he flares too hard, pulls on the delicate rays and they split...does that make more sense?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #5 
LittleDeer

I suppose kind of? I'm sorry I'm just trying to invision it in my head and it doesn't seem right. But I guess I'd probably understand if I had actually seen it happen.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #6 
Laki

how many things are in the tank?? Too much open space for a heavy finned betta like a halfmoon can spell disaster as they have to work harder to swim.

A split tail could be possible too if he was busy flaring at the glass or you or something. But I'd say a HM in a new open 10g was just frantically trying to swim. How much current does the filter push into the tank?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote