Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #1 
Jexx

partially planted tanks.

I have just begun with plants. I have to say the beginning is fairly underwhelming. I picture lush water jungle and instead I get this. Patience, I know, I know.
First is 5.5g. 1anubias afzelii (Rear left), 1anubias nana petite(front left), 12 stalks of moneywort(far right front and back), one philipine java fern (center right). 1 moss ball. 2 artificial plants.
Name:  20130518_135251.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  70.1 KB

Second is guppy fry tank 3.5. Just java fern, moss and fake plants.
Name:  20130518_135332.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  65.0 KB
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 
jlllm

looks very nice. your betta will have fun snooping through the leaves. Will he be alone in there?
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #3 
Jexx

Oh yes. This tank was already established. Previously it was 100 % silk plants. I have been wanting a planted tank for some time but I am not very good with plants. My other 2 betta tanks are the same with silk plants.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I recognise that buddha, and the silk plants! :p

I think the reason you may be feeling underwhelmed is that you don't have many plants. I always go slightly over the top and buy a *lot* of plants, because I don't want to wait for them to grow in. Consequently, this is my tank the day I set it up. So I'd say, if you can afford it, buy lots of plants. :D
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #5 
Jexx

Bomba, you are of course right! I got the few plants I have at petsmart *whispers*they don't have a very good selection. I do plan to go to big al's sometime in the near future and get some more plants since they have a gigantic selection. Whenever I see all the plants I always forget what I want to get. I am also terrified of spending all that money and then killing the plants. I've already lost 3 anubias leaves. i thought those were supposed to be unkillable.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

My best friend since I got in to planting my tanks has been the book 'Adventurous aquarists guide the 101 best aquuarium plants.' It gives pictures and care tips for the most common plants as well as a list of common ones to avoid. If you don't want to buy it I know petco and petsmart both carry it, so you can 'borrow it' to use as a reference when shopping.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Did you plant the Anubis? Only the roots go in the substrate. If you cover the rhizomes they will die.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #8 
Jexx

The large anubias is tied to rock. the rhizome is free. The small anibias is planted but the rhizome is above the gravel. The roots were large enough that I could cover them with gravel.

I will have to check out that book It sounds exactly like my type of book. I do well with house plants only because I read a lot about them and them experimented. I was afraid of them at first too. I guess I am just going to have to dive into this one (tee hee see what I did there? XD)
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #9 
jlllm

Bombalurina that is an incredible tank! My few plants make mine look sad. Are those clay vases/pots in there?
I got a sword plant today and haven't had the heart to remove it from the keg. And a water onion which I didn't really want. Will it survive or look ugly trimmed down?
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote