Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1 
BlackPearlBettas

Best type/color to start with as new breeder.

Hello- I am new to the forum! And new to breeding bettas. I have owned betta as pets for years- and am ready to dive deeper in to the show and breeding world. I was a IBC member- need to renew my membership.
I am looking for advice for the best betta for a new breeder- I love HM and HMPK- and would think solid colors would be the way to go to establish type in my line.
I grew up in a family that bred and showed dogs- and I truly respect the hard work breeders do developing their lines.
Thank you in advance for any guidance! Glad to be here
Oh- I live in NY- Long Island.
BlackPearlBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 
Janan

Good luck on your new venture. I can't give you advice, but there are plenty here who can and who will.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
trilobite

Id go for any tail type you fancy.
HMPK and HM have the risk of rosetail and DT have risks of deformed bodies but careful breeding and culling will help you stay clear of these faults.

Colourwise Id just go for your favourite colour. All have things that the breeder can work on eg reds ideal goal is to get the blue iridescent scales off the fish and blue would need to get rid of the red wash.

Personally I like HMPK with dragon influenced iridescent colours like blue and copper but it really is a game of what colours and types you like looking at since youll be the one looking at them 99% of the time

Good luck
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #4 
Myates

Agreed.. there are always things to look for in all tail types, along with different considerations... so in the end it's really what you like and want, and then find out about what to look for and how to judge standards for that particular tail type. But breeding and raising the fry is the same throughout the splendens.

I love "wonder what I'll get" spawns.. I mix them up as much as possible.. the two in my avatar are 3 month old brothers whose father was a white dragon with red fins and the mother was a cambodian with purple/blue fins.. and I got a lot of variations of the ones in the picture lol. So you'll be surprised by what you get when you play around.. so don't rule that out either if you don't have a set goal :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #5 
Darth

When talking money, go for the hard ones, Black, Orange true green Deep yellow this is what I specialize in, these are not easy ask anyone here
But if you want your also must be very conscious of form, and ugly color that has good form will sell better than a beautiful color fish with poor form again ask anyone here.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 
trilobite

+1
Unfortunately in NZ the opposite is true. Ive seen many poor forms, x factors, bad toplines selling for much more than the nice formed fish.
Down here black orchid ct which are covered in red wash, thin wonky bodies, and the most messed up webbing reductions always seem to go for $100 for some stupid reason
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 
Darth

Hey trilobite, can I ship you fish..I smell partnership for big coin!! The Fosters are on me!!
Besides..Bute..your avatar fish is very nice
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #8 
trilobite

Lol we could make some serious cash, imagine what theyd pay for a quality black orchid ct! I wish I could though, your fish would boost up the quality down here! But in NZ if someone wants to import fish then they must be prepared to pay literally thousands with no guarantee of live fish at the end of it. Bloody biosecurity...
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #9 
Darth

Bloody is right mate, how unfare...what they think you and the Aussies are criminals? hehehe...I thought that was England....er....long time gone mate!!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #10 
trilobite

Haha we are pretty shifty blokes in the southern hemisphere! You guys will never know what we are plotting. We dont even have giant bettas in the country, probably because we will obviously breed them to destroy every native fish we have