Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #11 
Haeclark

& thanks for the response kim...always nice to hear from another who experienced the same thing!

Thanks for the comment about the tank size...all my life I always thought it was cruel to keep them in a small bowl, as I thought if I were a fish...I sure as heck like to SWIM around! The whole 1" per 1 gal rule should really be applied more oftin ;D

Like many other pet factors I know I cannot change, I'm glad to know at least my little beta is happy with all the room he has. Less work for me, more room for him, less money spend on a smaller home = much happier buddy! XD

BTY...have 2 pH testers...a regular ph [6.0-7.6] and a high level pH [7.4-9.0]. The regular test showed 7.6+, while the high pH showed 8.0.
Just wanted to make sure the pH didnt have anything to do with the fin rot.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #12 
Kim

Well, as far a getting worse before getting better, I don't think that is true. When I treated my guy with the Fungus Clear it started to improve every day. Yes, little pieces of dead fin will fall off, but you will see the edges becoming more uniform, and soon clear regrowth will be evident. So, if it doesn't seem to be working I would just stop, do a 30% water change and put some carbon in your filter. If he can wait a day, do so and then do another 30% water change. If you were using a different med. I would say to wait until the dosage is done, but having been there with the Melafix before I am pretty sure that it is not going to get any better. If he can't wait a day (his fin is rapidly deteriorating) I would do several water changes over the course of the day. You want to make sure that you clear all previous meds. out before you put more in. Do not do a 100% change however, as this will ruin your cycle and just cause more problems.

I think that your water change schedule is fine. Hmmm...however, since the Fungus Clear is one tablet that lasts 1 week, as opposed to daily doses, you may want to see if you can wait that long before changing the water. If you are adding the meds every day, then the water changes won't be a problem, but if it is a one time deal, then you are taking out the meds. without putting any back in (it would be nearly impossible to figure out how much to replace). I would just keep watching the parameters and only do a water change if it is necessary.

Oh, just remember to take the carbon out when you put the new meds. in.

As to how he got it, could be that he scraped himself against something and it got infected. I have found that bettas seem to be prone to infections. Sometimes the cause is dirty water, but all water has bacteria in it and some fish are just more prone to it than others.

Tell me how it goes. I hope it works out for you as it did for me. My guy showed a ton of improvement when I switched to fungus clear, and his tail has about a 1/2" of new growth by now.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #13 
Haeclark

Thanks allot Kim!

I got this response today from Tera care:

Quote:
The test results seem pretty good. For water change, we recommend changing 25% of the water every 2 weeks. Vacuum the gravel each time you do a partial water change. Treating with the medication will get rid of the bacteria that cause the fin rot, but it will still take some time for the damaged fins to grow back. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure that they remain low.
But Your advice is more thorough! :D

So for today, think I'll be doing the 30% threw out the day, with his carbon filter back in...then tomorrow I'll get the fungus clear / fungus eliminator and start him on that.
Seems the best thing to do is the weekly change once I start him on the Jungle, makes since, and dont want to mess with the water too much.

[getting ahead of myself here, but curious] Once healing starts, and meds are done...whats best thing to do about filter? Should I buy a new one or old still ok to use? Dont want to place bad bacteria into his tank once healed, so thought I'd ask first.

thanks again, and I'll keep updated about his progress
Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #14 
Haeclark

Here's Blue Before Tail rot ate part of his fins, looking at us ;D

Before rot...body shot ;D ...dose his tail look normal?

First day of rot, he was active this day, hard to get good one...

little more detail, but still a-bit hard to see

not the best in detail...but can see whitish / cloudy area in fins...these disapeard next day [frays]

tail-end shot...can see string like ends now gone

same day, side shot

same day...can see cloudy eyes in this shot

will post more pics of how he looks today later.
His frays didnt disappear when I checked on him this morning...and dosent seem like more is gone.
Didn't get a shot of him yesterday when another 10% disappeared...I just got Tera's fish salt yesterday though [when I was going to get another med brand too, and was told to wait], and put in 2 rounded tablespoons as per directed on back of carton. Think its starting to help him, as he doesn't seem to be getting worse :D
Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #15 
Kim

Yup, looks just like what happened to my guy. If the filter is already on the tank, I don't think that it has any more chance for reintroducing the bacteria than the water, gravel, plants, etc. If the bacteria/fungus is in the tank and filter it will be killed by the medication anyway, along with what is on Blue. I would keep the filter running, but just take the carbon out. If you have the kind of filter pads where you have to dump the carbon in, use just the pad by itself. If the carbon is already in the pad (the pad is sewn to the backing with the carbon in the middle) just cut one side and shake the carbon out. This way your water will stay filtered while he is on the meds. :) Good luck to you, Blue is really lucky to have you!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #16 
iamntbatman

Cut along the top edge of the filter pad to dump the carbon out. That way, you can save the carbon and dump it back in the filter pad when you're done medicating to get the medication out of the water.

If you've already got the new medication, give it a shot. I had a betta with a pretty bad case of fin rot once, and Melafix alone didn't help much. Since then, I've found that using both Melafix and Pimafix at once works wonders for fin rot. I can't vouch for the Fungus Eliminator/Fungus Clear as I've never used either product, but many others on this forum have had success with it so if you already have it, go for it.

Also, when I'm medicating, I try to do about a 90% water change (usually broken into three 30% changes) right before I start the medication. This gets the nitrate levels as low as possible so that you don't have to worry about doing water changes to keep the water quality in check while medicating, thus risking taking helpful medicine out of the water.

Let us know how things work out!
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #17 
Haeclark

havent purchased it yet...re-inserted to filter today. If you say Pimafix works well with Melafix...I'll give that a shot, as he seems to not have re-lapsed since I added the salt.
Otherwise, if I cant find it, I'll go with the Fungus Eliminator/Fungus Clear.
Some stuff came up, so wasnt able to get to water flushing until late [10:30] so only did one for today...will resume tomorrow as early as possible.

The filter is one of the Whisper bag-pouches, with the plastic inner "skeleton", exterior bag / pouch, carbon rocks, and the plactic clip that closes the top of inner "skeleton", so dumping carbon easy...however there were very small carbon pieces along with carbon dust I could not get rid of...will that effect medication?
Should I go ahead and just buy a clean empty filter pouch as its brand new anyway [didn't get a chance to develop any bacteria at all, as only been in tank for total of barely 1 day...removed when started meds]
Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #18 
Kim

I have the same things. You could just invert the bag, and rinse the powder/small pieces out. :)
Old 10-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #19 
Haeclark

I tried that...rinsed it for a long time, inverted and re-inverted 3-4 times...still some micro small pieces in there along with some stained dust...even tryed to scrap some out with nail...couldnt get it all.
Will that small amount of carbon effect anything?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #20 
iamntbatman

It shouldn't be a problem.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote