Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #1 
collegefish

Help! Fin Rot not healing!

Hey everyone!

I have a betta that I got about a month ago. I noticed a couple weeks ago that he appeared to have fin rot on his back tail. I've been dosing him with Jungle Fungus Clear, but it's over 2 weeks later with 2 cycles of the meds and it's not getting any better. In fact, it's gotten worse. I just woke up this morning and a chunk of his tail was missing!

There is a heater in the tank (2 gal) and I've been putting salt in there as well. Anyone have any ideas of what else I can do for this poor guy?? I've seen pictures of what fin rot can turn into, and I'm trying to stop it before it goes that far!
collegefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #2 
Kim

First of all, don't put in any more salt. The Fungus Clear already contains some and the concentration in your tank is probably quite high. I would do a partial water change for a couple days to clear the water, then try a bacterial med such as tetracycline, or maracyn & maracyn 2, the latter probably being better because it will kill gram positive and gram negative bacteria. If it can't wait a couple days, then do several small water changes throughout the course of the day, and treat.

I'm glad that you are trying to help your little guy :) . If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #3 
collegefish

Thank you!!!

I ordered the Maracyn 2 yesterday (curse of being a college kid w/o a car and the nearest pet store a half hour away) and it should be here today or tomorrow. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

I didn't realize that fungus clear also had salt in it... oops. Does the Maracyn have salt in it too, or is it safe to put salt in the tank with it?
collegefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #4 
peubanksbarrow

I'm with you on the fin rot business. I bought tetracyclene yesterday. I hate it for them. I just want them to get better. I'll let you know if we se progress as well.
peubanksbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote