Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 
Canis

*Facepalm* Traveler Came with New Plants

So, I got my first live plants today, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, 1 Anarchis, and 1 Moneywort. Turns out that guppies aren't very smart, and one ended up stuck to a plant, so into my tank he went. It was really that or flush him, as I had no time to bring him back to the store due to a school concert. After I got home, it seemed like the betta was pretty much ignoring him. He is pretty cute! Since guppies are schooling fish, do you think I should get 2 more? Otherwise its just him and a big scarey betta on one half of the divider.

The guppy, that I have decided to name Squirt:

The tank with plants (once more growth happens, I will spread it out more):
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Your little guppy looks like he has Endler blood in him. Are you sure he's a guppy?

I would definitely get two more, since they are shoaling fish, but you'll have to upgrade the tank size or undivide them if you plan to do that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 
Whittni

Yep, they like groups for sure.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #4 
Riverotter

Awwww! I'm jealous! Common guppies are one of my faves. Some folks make fun of me for that - but then I make fun of them for spending $$$ on Endlers. Not that I can find either one around here

And that's definitely your common guppy, Poecilia reticulata. The lighting just caught him right is all. I wouldn't think that 2 more would overburden your tank. Maybe if you let them multiply, but both the parents and the betta will happily keep the population down.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #5 
fish keeper 2013

Guppies actually aren't schooling fish, they do better in groups but don't actually school.

It got stuck in the plant???
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #6 
Canis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 View Post
Guppies actually aren't schooling fish, they do better in groups but don't actually school.

It got stuck in the plant???
Yeah, it was caught in my water wisteria. My sister noticed it when I was driving home from the store. She plopped it into the water that was in the bag. The tank that they keep their plants in is full of them, as well as snails. I'm surprised I haven't found any of those hitchhikers yet too.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #7 
Canis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
Awwww! I'm jealous! Common guppies are one of my faves. Some folks make fun of me for that - but then I make fun of them for spending $$$ on Endlers. Not that I can find either one around here

And that's definitely your common guppy, Poecilia reticulata. The lighting just caught him right is all. I wouldn't think that 2 more would overburden your tank. Maybe if you let them multiply, but both the parents and the betta will happily keep the population down.
I love the look of male guppies! And endlers as well, they look so natural in a nicely planted tank!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #8 
Canis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Your little guppy looks like he has Endler blood in him. Are you sure he's a guppy?

I would definitely get two more, since they are shoaling fish, but you'll have to upgrade the tank size or undivide them if you plan to do that.
He might be a hybrid, he seems too large to be a male endler. He is pushing 1 1/2" right now.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Riverotter, the problem would be space, not bioload - a divided ten gallon just doesn't give them the room they need.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 
Kalari32

you have quite the little traveler there :p I would definitely get one or two more guppies, but you will have to take out the divider, and hope your betta wont mind them! (:
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote