Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #1 
Canis
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
*Facepalm* Traveler Came with New Plants

So, I got my first live plants today, 1 Water Wisteria, 1 Java Fern, 1 Anarchis, and 1 Moneywort. Turns out that guppies aren't very smart, and one ended up stuck to a plant, so into my tank he went. It was really that or flush him, as I had no time to bring him back to the store due to a school concert. After I got home, it seemed like the betta was pretty much ignoring him. He is pretty cute! Since guppies are schooling fish, do you think I should get 2 more? Otherwise its just him and a big scarey betta on one half of the divider.

The guppy, that I have decided to name Squirt:

The tank with plants (once more growth happens, I will spread it out more):
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Your little guppy looks like he has Endler blood in him. Are you sure he's a guppy?

I would definitely get two more, since they are shoaling fish, but you'll have to upgrade the tank size or undivide them if you plan to do that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 
Whittni
Member
 
Whittni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Utah
Yep, they like groups for sure.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #4 
Riverotter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Awwww! I'm jealous! Common guppies are one of my faves. Some folks make fun of me for that - but then I make fun of them for spending $$$ on Endlers. Not that I can find either one around here

And that's definitely your common guppy, Poecilia reticulata. The lighting just caught him right is all. I wouldn't think that 2 more would overburden your tank. Maybe if you let them multiply, but both the parents and the betta will happily keep the population down.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #5 
fish keeper 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Guppies actually aren't schooling fish, they do better in groups but don't actually school.

It got stuck in the plant???
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #6 
Canis
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 View Post
Guppies actually aren't schooling fish, they do better in groups but don't actually school.

It got stuck in the plant???
Yeah, it was caught in my water wisteria. My sister noticed it when I was driving home from the store. She plopped it into the water that was in the bag. The tank that they keep their plants in is full of them, as well as snails. I'm surprised I haven't found any of those hitchhikers yet too.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #7 
Canis
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
Awwww! I'm jealous! Common guppies are one of my faves. Some folks make fun of me for that - but then I make fun of them for spending $$$ on Endlers. Not that I can find either one around here

And that's definitely your common guppy, Poecilia reticulata. The lighting just caught him right is all. I wouldn't think that 2 more would overburden your tank. Maybe if you let them multiply, but both the parents and the betta will happily keep the population down.
I love the look of male guppies! And endlers as well, they look so natural in a nicely planted tank!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #8 
Canis
Member
 
Canis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Your little guppy looks like he has Endler blood in him. Are you sure he's a guppy?

I would definitely get two more, since they are shoaling fish, but you'll have to upgrade the tank size or undivide them if you plan to do that.
He might be a hybrid, he seems too large to be a male endler. He is pushing 1 1/2" right now.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Riverotter, the problem would be space, not bioload - a divided ten gallon just doesn't give them the room they need.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 
Kalari32
Member
 
Kalari32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
you have quite the little traveler there :p I would definitely get one or two more guppies, but you will have to take out the divider, and hope your betta wont mind them! (:
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*facepalm* So I was at Petco... Uminofukami Betta Pictures 12 05-06-2013 10:43 PM
The ignorance! *MAJOR FACEPALM* finnfinnfriend Betta Fish Care 148 10-14-2012 09:35 AM
*facepalm* fishman12 Betta Chat 6 07-15-2011 08:40 AM
Facepalm...WHY!! MrVampire181 Betta Pictures 6 02-05-2011 12:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.