Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 
samanthacollier

Thumbs down Please Help!! Betta Floating At Top

Hello,

I recently got a Betta Fish from the pet store and initially put him in a large fish bowl, approximately 2 Gallons.

Today, I moved him into a 5 Gallon Tank and followed the instructions to a tee. I climatized him but had a tough time getting him out of the bowl with the net. I might have hurt him when I did this. :( This was about 5 hours ago.

Now, he is floating in the top corner of the tank. He's living and he'll move a bit. He'll also sort of float back and then swim forward, float back, swim forward, etc. It's almost like he relaxes his body and then moves again.

Is this really bad? He's so sweet and has such a good personality. He seemed happy in the bowl and moved around a lot before. He was in the bowl for about 4 days before today.

Please let me know what you think
samanthacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do you use water conditioner? Also was the temperature around the same as his last water? I see you said you acclimated him, how did you go about this?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 
samanthacollier

Thank you for the reply.

I aclimatized him by putting him in a plastic bag with his "old" fish bowl water and then I floated it in the aquarium for 10 minutes. Afterwards, I put in a bit of the new water into the bag and waited another 10 minutes. I repeated that for another ten minutes and then put him in.

Also, when I took him out of the old fish bowl, he got caught in the net for a bit and I think it could have hurt him.

Finally, the 5 gallon tank came with a water filter. It seems to be moving the water around and I know these fish like stagnant water sometimes - do you think the current is too high? I put 15 ml of Nutrafin Cycle in and 5 ml of NutraFin AquaPlus.

Just now, he swam into the middle of the tank but then moved back over to the corner. Also, I fed him 4 or 5 worms from the fish food I bought at the store too. I might have overfed him :(

Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 
samanthacollier

The water temperature is 78 degrees. I feel so horrible :( I must have done something wrong as he was swimming around happily in his bowl yesterday.

This is how he looks most of the time:

Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #5 
xShainax

You didn't do anything wrong. Betta's sometimes stay at the top after being moved
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #6 
samanthacollier

Thank you for the reply. I hope this is the case! I'm so worried - this is my first betta in almost 15 years and its crazy how much I like the little guy.

How long do you think he will do this for?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #7 
xShainax

Few days
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Give him a day to so to adjust and if he is still doing it something is wrong.
Normally they should be swimming around, not lethargic or floating at the surface, laying on the bottom all the time.

also, was it dark out when you moved him? If you have floating plants, you will notice that at night time, they will rest in the plants.

Quote:
Also, I fed him 4 or 5 worms from the fish food I bought at the store too. I might have overfed him :(
freeze dried worms? he may have swim bladder issues - fast him for a day or 2 and see if it helps. Overfeeding can cause an issue with their swim bladder and alot of times they have issues with swimming - like they cant swim down, swim sideways ect

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-19-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #9 
samanthacollier

Thank you. You made me feel a lot better. I pray that's the case!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #10 
samanthacollier

Update

I'm feeling hopeful about Rocky. He's a lot more active this morning. He still goes to the corner for a bit but he'll swim into the middle of the tank more often. He does seem to "float" up a bit so do you think it's his swim bladder?

I'm not feeding him today or tomorrow - hopefully this will help.

Also, could someone explain the water cleaning process to me? I have a filter and a heater. Should I be cleaning 25% of the water once a week? How do I do this? Do I take him out? I'm scared of taking him out because of our fish net fiasco.

Can I leave a bucket of water out for 48 hours before the water change and use this? I'll also treat it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Here's Rocky:

Tags
emergency, floating at the top