Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 
soundwave

Lightbulb New to bettas, lots of questions!

Hi all. On Wednesday. I set up my tank and got my first betta, Merle. It's currently cycling with him in it. He's apparently a half moon tail. Attached is a picture.

He's in a 5.5 gallon heated, filtered tank. I did a 50% water change the second and third day and a 15% change today. I'm using TopFin betta water conditioner. Today's tests showed:

temp - 75-80
pH - 6.5
nitrite - 0.5
nitrate - 0
general hardness - 0
carbonate hardness - 20 ppm
the ammonia test I forget what the exact number was, but it was a small trace and that's before I did the 15% water change.

My questions are:
-How old does he appear to be? He's under 2 inches long.
-Will his fins ever grow out, and evenly?
-What might he look like in time?
-Am I doing everything right?

I should note he came from bad conditions at the store. His cup had lots of algae and he was very pale. He acts healthy though, he is very active and curious and eats like a pig.

I've been referencing this forum since I got him, it's been very helpful. :)
Attached Images

Last edited by soundwave; 05-18-2013 at 09:38 PM.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Your little boy looks too adorable :D

I'm super surprised you have Nitrites already!! Generally that doesn't happen until after about 2 weeks!

But anyway, besides the Cycle which looks good, yes his fins will grow out. With the aid of Stress Coat which has aloe in it, his fins will heal up in no time. Of course each Betta has a different heal time, just like humans, but since he's young, looks like maybe 4 months since his tail is still growing, he should heal a bit faster.

Also his tail type looks more like a Delta to me, but a pic of him flaring would be the best way to tell what he is exactly!

And it looks like he's got ammonia burns but that's presumably from his cup and maybe some stress from the cycling, but the best way to cure that is just warm, clean water. Try to keep your levels from going to high as that can stall the cycle and hurt your little boy :)

Oh and yes his fins can grow out to be even unless his gene's are something different, looks like if he does grow out to be a HM, he might be a Rose tail which is just over branching in the HM line.

Hope that answers some questions at least.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 
soundwave

Thanks for the fast reply! Four months old, huh? Yeah, I thought he could be a rose tail, it's slightly curly looking.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not so much that it's curly, but rose tail will overlap each other to give the impression of a rose :)

Yeah, if his tail is indeed still growing then he'll be about 3.5 to 4 months old. But if it was bitten off he might be older, but I'm pinning at 3.5-4
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

it does look like he could be a delta. When I got my fish he was labeled hm but he's definitely a delta
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote