Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Link's eating sand...

Me and my fiance have spent basically the entire day turning Link's tank into a NPT. What is the first thing he does when he's acclimated? He eats the sand. Is there anything I can do to make it stop? Is it dangerous to his health (I assume so)? And if he doesn't stop, does that mean we have to tear apart the tank? Any advice is appreciated.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

hmmmm they do like to make it difficult for us at times don't they, eating sand cannot be good...... it can kill a horse so I assume the same could happen to a fish. How to stop him though....... all I can suggest is keeping a close eye on him maybe he will get use to the sand and leave it alone after a while not sure if you can put anything in his tank to distract him and take his mind off the sand. If that doesn't work you might need to admit defeat and remove the sand....I can't really think of anything else maybe someone else has a suggestion....

One of my boys eats his poop all of the time. I have upped his food in case he was still hungry being quite a large boy but he still eats it 95% of the time......
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
LinkLover

Yea I figured it wouldn't be so great. :/ I have been watching him pretty closely for the past hour that he's been in there and he just keeps doing it. I will try giving him some more food to see if that helps. I just hope he quits so we don't have to redo the tank, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh really? Man, it seems like sometimes they are just determined to be butt heads. :P
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

lol well I really hope that Link stops eating the sand soon...... gees don't know what is so appetizing about it......when you think about it it is sort of like the equivalent of a human eating rocks can't taste so good. Talk about frustrating, hate it if you spend a lot of time setting something up nice only to have to dismantle it shortly after, unfortunately it does happen at times. Sometimes I swear they do this sort of thing just because they like to keep us busy and give us something to do!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #5 
LinkLover

Yea, if I have to tear it down I'm not going to be very happy. And taking this much time to do this was a big deal for us, since we recently had a baby. It's been in the works for a while and we decided we needed to stop talking about it and do it, because I wanted to give him the best possible home. And now he's all clamped and hiding in the Subwassertang. :(
Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

oh no! that is even worse when so much time and effort went into setting it up.....
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

It's not sifting the sand?

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #8 
LinkLover

No, I was hoping that's what he was doing but I can actually see him chewing on it. And he doesn't just spit it back out.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #9 
Fishy Mom

Maybe that's his secret to growing such long ventrals, lol. I've never had a fish eat sand. I wonder why he's doing that.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
No, I was hoping that's what he was doing but I can actually see him chewing on it. And he doesn't just spit it back out.
And it's not falling through the gills?

I would try changing up it's diet.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote