Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Bettas in community tanks - share yours!

I just recently introduced a new male betta to my 20G community which currently houses a pair of Mickey Mouse platys, a school of albino corydoras, and a lone zebra danio (who was dumped on me by a negligent owner and is looking for a new home with a school for her to enjoy - my water is too warm for danios to stay in permanently). I have tried having a male betta in this exact community before and it didn't go very well. The betta was stressed and fearful and flared at everything when he wasn't hiding which was most of the time.

This male has reacted very differently and seems very comfortable. He surfaces regularly and is active and curious. I've only seen a couple flares from him since he's been introduced and no chasing at all. He'll even swim in the open water at the top of the tank for extended periods while the platys play around him. Have you guys had any luck with bettas in communities? Share yours! (:
Attached Images

ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #2 
Batmantha

I have a crown tail in with a school of albino cories, 2 butterfly angelfish, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 bristlenoses and a school of golden minnow clouds.

He is perfectly fine and happy, I thought he was white when I bought him but he has turned into this pretty purple,red, silver and white metallic gorgeousness

He was stressed in his old home, in with guppies when I found him and knew I wanted him and now he swims in with the gouramis, chases the angels and loves swimming through the plants

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdMveNz0t4Y

sorry for the dodgy video still figuring out how to use my phone lol
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Be very careful with that combination, Batmantha - fish are unpredictable and that many aggressive species is just a powderkeg.

I have a 23 gallon/90 litre with 12 Endler's Livebearers, 4 cories, 6 kuhli loaches and 4 female bettas, plus a number of RCS. It's an NPT.
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #4 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Be very careful with that combination, Batmantha - fish are unpredictable and that many aggressive species is just a powderkeg..
Yeah I have been pretty lucky so far, plenty of plants and hiding spots and they don't even fight at feeding time which surprised me. Few months on and going good :)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 
KevinGillbride

Yeah you just never know some bettas can get along with non aggressive fish and some can get along with more agressive fish, some will kill any fish it can and some will stress out and die just because there are other fish
KevinGillbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #6 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGillbride View Post
Yeah you just never know some bettas can get along with non aggressive fish and some can get along with more agressive fish, some will kill any fish it can and some will stress out and die just because there are other fish

Yeah, I have a half moon and giant in other tanks and they prefer to be alone but my crown tail prefers company for some reason
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #7 
cheylillymama

I have my ct male in a 10 gal npt with 5 pants cories and a couple malaysian trumpet snails. He's a pretty peaceful dude. My yellow dt male, he hates everybody, lol so he has his own 5 gal, and I have a rescued female healing up in a 2.5 gal, she has a 5 gal too bit it's being rearranged for her to move in. :)
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #8 
cheylillymama

Pants cories! Lol autocorrect.
*panda
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 
LizbethDawn

This thread excites me :)
I'm getting my 50 gallon back and I'm going to try and incorporate some girls in with platys, a couple gouramis, a hillstream loach and a bunch of mosquito rasboras.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

You may have trouble there, Lizbeth. Hillstream loaches like cool (low 70s), fastmoving water, whereas bettas and gouramis prefer slow moving water in he high 70s. Gouramis and bettas are a risk to put together, as they may fight. Finally, platys prefer alkaline, hard water and all the other fish like soft acidic water.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote