Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #1 
Batmantha

Mini C02 kit

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up my first 2 NPT's next week to replace my current Beta tanks

I already have goldvine with java and peacock moss tied to it that I did yesterday soaking outside so it floods and sinks when I get the tanks on Thursday.

I have a mix of soil and sand for the base and haven't completely decided on plants yet. I know I'm going to get 2 logs with anubis' already connected to it

But anyway I'm going off topic, I was wondering if I should do C02 which seems completely off putting because some people have said I can accidentally kill my fish if I go overboard (I dont know if thats true though) and was wondering if anyone has used this system before

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=6040&catID=58

Good, bad? stupidly overpriced?

Thanks!
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #2 
VJM

Lots of people use co2 successfully, but it is possible (and somewhat common) for fish to get stressed or die from too much.

It's the one thing that keeps me from trying it.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Lots of people use co2 successfully, but it is possible (and somewhat common) for fish to get stressed or die from too much.

It's the one thing that keeps me from trying it.
And do your plants grow ok? Do you have just a regular airstone or nothing at all?
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 
Nibblez

Usually its not necessary to get CO2 unless you will have very demanding plants. Its mostly to do with it being very helpful carpet plants, or strong light plants. It shouldnt really kill your fish provided you are injecting the right amount of CO2 (with the help of a bubble counter) and you have a decent amount of plants in there. The claims about fish dying from CO2 is most likely from unregulated amounts of CO2 being injected in.

As for the price, im thinking it probably doesnt get any cheaper than that in australia for a pressurized kit. The cost to keep buying the disposable cartridges might add up though.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

It's also completely possible to carpet without CO2. I have a HM carpet in a normal tank :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #6 
fish keeper 2013

The decision for the co2 kit is yours, but keep in mind the cost of replacement cartriges as well as noted by Nibblez. I would personally go DIY but thats just me.

VJM: Don't bettas breathe from the surface? I thought this would kinda negate the possible negative effects of Co2.

Also, while it may not be neccessary for slower growing plants, it will still dramatically increase growth.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #7 
VJM

They do both. I would be less concerned with bettas in a high co2 environment, but I would still fret about the possibility of an entire tank dumping into their living space.

Plenty of people do it successfully, and I may too one day. It just freaks me out right now.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 
Nibblez

Dont use an air stone for a planted tank, it negates the effect of a CO2 kit. It basically pumps more oxygen into the tank.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Having an airstone in the tank balances out the dissolved gasses in the tank really... in typical situations with just one betta and very little CO2, the plants may actually benefit as the airstones will bring more CO2 into the water...
remember that the airstone doesn't pump in oxygen, It pumps in air, which is mostly nitrogen :D (there's also oxygen and small amounts of CO2). due to the force at which the size of the air bubbles are forced out of the bubbler, very little of this actually dissolves in the water column. However water turbulence will help gas exchange :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #10 
Nibblez

I've always thought that with water, there is usually a higher content of oxygen and using and air stone to pump in air just increases that oxygen content in the water.