Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #1 
lindsayframe

Question Normal colouring or velvet?

When I got this little guy a few weeks ago, he was mostly red with some light blue scales. After examining him with a flashlight, I noticed that he had some gold iridescence and the tips of his fins are turning turquoise, but are a bit iridescent as well. Basically, he is the most spastic and energetic (we named him spazz) little guy that I've ever seen.. every time I come near the tank he swims as fast as he can to the front and swims around. He is also attempting to build a bubble nest with the filter bubbles, and likes to swim through the filter output.. he's a strange one. Either way, no signs of illness except for a potential dusting of gold, but appears as if he almost has a natural iridescence wherever the blue is (especially on the tips of fins, in between fins by the base and near the blue scales). When I first got him, I treated for parasites with general cure because he had one on his tail (i think), which ate a huge hole right through the middle, and he was flashing like a mad man. The flashing has totally stopped, and he is now just a happy little guy with way too much energy, and I'm sure I'm being overcautious. I am treating with aq salt for a little while (1/2 tsp per gallon) to be sure, but does anyone think this is velvet?

Water params are perfect, tank is heated and filtered, and I do a 25% wc every day. (He is waiting for a fishless cycle to finish on his 7 gal, so he's living in a 2gal jar for now.)
Attached Images

lindsayframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #2 
lindsayframe

here's some more pictures!
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #3 
10asartin

No need to worry about the AQ salt because that is his natural gold iridescence. However, I am concerned with how swollen his belly is in the pictures. How much do you feed him and how often?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #4 
lindsayframe

1 bio gold pellet twice a day, he's looked bloated since I bought him, even after I tried the pea method and fasting for a week.. Is it possible that he's just chubby?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #5 
10asartin

Well, 1 pellet twice per day is actually what I would normally consider underfeeding. Being chronically bloated could be a sign of internal parasites.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #6 
lindsayframe

Hmm okay, I will keep an eye on him. How much should I be feeding?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #7 
10asartin

Under normal conditions I would feed 2-3 pellets twice per day with one day per week fasting, but with him being chronically bloated I am not sure if this is best for him right now.

Try feeding him 2-3 pellets twice per day and gauge if it affects how swollen his stomach is or affects his behavior/swimming. If you notice that his stomach looks much larger or if he begins behaving abnormally cut back down to 1 pellet twice per day.

As for medicating for possible internal parasites you may want to post a new thread concerning this issue and get the advice of other members as I don't have much experience with internal parasites. What seems odd to me is that he behaves normally, typically when they have internal parasites they are lethargic and don't eat normally. This makes me think that it may not be internal parasites.
I would definitely seek the advice of a member experienced with this type of thing.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 
lindsayframe

Alright, thank you for your help :)

Tags
diagnosis, iridescence, natural colouring, parasites, velvet