Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #1 
nmmuller

Unhappy Help meeee

Hi,
I'm new to this site but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my betta, barnabus. He seems to be in good health (swims around and eats like crazy) but he just gained this huge white patch over his eye and mouth area. Assuming that it was a fungal infection, I treated his 1 gallon tank with "bettafix." The condition of the spot hasn't changed and I was wondering if he's even sick at all!!

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=54554
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=54546
nmmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

There's no missing scales, or visible cuts? If there is, he rammed his pretty little head into something and that would be slime coat protecting the body from infection.

If not, it is columnaris. And bettafix is absolutely useless. Tea tree oil coats the labyrinth...

A proper cure, would be any fungal cure that rids columnaris. Jungle Fizz Tabs, API fungal cure, Maracyn (2?), etc.

How often do you clean the 1 gallon?
Is it heated?

If it is not heated, that is a problem. Betta fish are tropical and more prone to diseases when in improper conditions... Like cold water. a 1.5 is easier to heat, 2.5 safer to heat.

1 gallon tanks, really aught to be cleaned every other day, at least. Mainly because the ammonia build up can be so ridiculous... And dangerous. When the immune system goes down from it, BANG! Diseases. And parasites too! Not the greatest thing for your little pet.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #3 
sushiisaboss75

my betta had something like that, I'm thinking it's mouth fungus. MAke sure you do enough water changes. I treated mine with melafix, but you can also use bettafix.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #4 
sushiisaboss75

my betta had something like that, I'm thinking it's mouth fungus. MAke sure you do enough water changes. I treated mine with melafix, but you can also use bettafix. a picture would help.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, aid, information