Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #1 
BettaNubRandyLove

Fish happier that he's overweight?

Long story short, my sister tried to feed my fish His stomach is obviously bulging. Usually I feed him 2 pellets until you can just see his stomach. the weird thing is when O went to check on him today. he acted really different. he was flaring at me and his plant. And swimming around less clamped than he usually is. he acted like a different fish. my question is, could I have been underfeeding him? Or can someone show me a picture of a healthy stomach ( sorry the healthy stomach part is weird)
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You only feed 2 pellets per day? What kind of food do you feed? I feed mine NLS & Omega One, they each get 6-8 pellets per day. Omega One is a little larger than the NLS so I feed fewer of those. I don't watch their tummies I just know their stomachs are only about the size of their eye & a lot of foods swell.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

As long as my VT boy is pooping regularly i give him 8-10 pellets a day. I know there are several people on this forum who talk about bettas being chubby or bloated when they see pics of them, but honestly I prefer all my bettas to have a small belly, especially just after eating, as long as they are healthy & pooping.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #4 
BettaNubRandyLove

I feed aqueous which is pretty big I think compared to NLS. I've been wanting to switch him over to higher quality food but I just don't have the funds. I earned some money today though which is good. How much money does NLS or hikari cost.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

*aqueon I hate auto correct so much.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Petsmart has the Omega One for $4.49 per their website, Petco has NLS for I think $7-$8. If you can't afford either right now feed him 2-3 pellets twice a day & see how he does.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #7 
BettaNubRandyLove

Ok Ill definitely try feeding multiple times a day. I still don't have enough money but I can probably convince someone.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

I assume that everyone is referring to the NLS betta formula when they talk about pellet size. NLS comes in a variety of sizes.

Reading about how strict people are with their bettas diets, such as 1-2 pellets a day, it seems to me like they are underfed. Hahaha, based on what I've read from people, my betta should have exploded.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
*aqueon I hate auto correct so much.
Autocorrect & I have had a few battles too, lol. Aqueon pellets are fine until you get the funds for more food. I've used them & they won't kill your betta. People just suggest the other food because of the higher quality. My boy gets 4 pellets twice a day & sometimes two pellets stick together making the total 9 or 10. I've even heard of people spreading it out over three meals. It really is up to what seems to be best for your betta.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I assume that everyone is referring to the NLS betta formula when they talk about pellet size. NLS comes in a variety of sizes.

Reading about how strict people are with their bettas diets, such as 1-2 pellets a day, it seems to me like they are underfed. Hahaha, based on what I've read from people, my betta should have exploded.

Sent from Petguide.com App
I'm not exact on how many my bettas get fed but they do get on average a minimum of 6-8 pellets per day. When feeding frozen, I tend to feed more than most people advise, most on here I've seen say 2-3 blood worms mine get at least twice that. With my sorority I just sprinkle the food in so I have no clue how many each girl actually gets but I do know they're not starving. As with most things in this hobby, each person does what's best for them & their fish. I give my opinion & experience & its up to the OP what they want to do.