Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 
sushiisaboss75

Question Constipated betta fish!

Hi, my name is Madison and i am new to this forum. i am 12 years young and own a male crowntail named sushi. i have him in a 2.5 gl filtered tank. he lives a very stressfree life and somehow is always constiopated. i feed him 1/2 a pea every morning, and then his flakes/dried bloodworms at night. he doesnt poo much, and is always bloated. i usually fast him every weekend when i am at my moms house and cant feed him i am afraid he will get sbd if he keeps this up. sometimes i put him in an epsom salt bath which helps anybody got any idea why he's so constipated???

Well, hope to get an answer!
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #2 
BettaNubRandyLove

I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard flakes and freeze dried foods could swell inside the betta. Maybe it is the brand of flakes though. Could you please elaborate.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 
sushiisaboss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
I'm not sure if this is correct but I heard flakes and freeze dried foods could swell inside the betta. Maybe it is the brand of flakes though. Could you please elaborate.
uhh i dont know. they came with his tank. my friend uses flakes and her fish is fine
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 
dragonx47

Do you know which company supplied your tank? Usually that company will supply their own food. I've generally heard that bettas should not be fed peas unless they're skinned and grinded up well as they can do extensive damage to the digestive system.

You could try soaking the flakes in water before giving them to your fish. As for dealing with the bloat, try fasting him for a few days.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

My understanding is that peas can actually cause problems for a Betta so I would quit with the peas. Freeze dried foods should be soaked for 5-10 minutes before feeding & shouldn't be fed daily. Flakes are OK depending on brand BUT I don't feed them all of the time. If you can get a quality food pellet such as Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Make sure that what you're feeding is correct for a Betta. In ever feed the food that comes with a tank as its usually goldfish food or something other than Betta food. You can also try feeding every other day instead of daily. Remember what works for one fish may not work for another so you have to find what works best for yours.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #6 
Rana

I agree about stopping with the peas & getting a better brand of food, but keep in mind that he might not poo a whole lot. My boy has been in a bare tank for a few weeks so I get to see firsthand how much poop he produces and I gotta say, it's not a lot. If he's actually bloated & it's not just his stomach being full, I think cutting out the pea entirely and feeding less freeze-dried would help him. Freeze-dried foods are the potato chips of the betta world, so moderation is key.

Good luck, it sounds like you're really doing your homework for the little guy's care :D
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 
sushiisaboss75

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
My understanding is that peas can actually cause problems for a Betta so I would quit with the peas. Freeze dried foods should be soaked for 5-10 minutes before feeding & shouldn't be fed daily. Flakes are OK depending on brand BUT I don't feed them all of the time. If you can get a quality food pellet such as Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Make sure that what you're feeding is correct for a Betta. In ever feed the food that comes with a tank as its usually goldfish food or something other than Betta food. You can also try feeding every other day instead of daily. Remember what works for one fish may not work for another so you have to find what works best for yours.
no, it is betta food. specially made for bettas. i read online people feed peas every day.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 
sushiisaboss75

yes, i am doing my homework. i love my fish. i am going to get new food the next time im at the pet store. ive read online that some people feed their fish a small amount of pea every day. i do it more every 1-2 days. according to the websites i ve been looking at, it helps with thier digestive tract.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #9 
sushiisaboss75

i do skin and grind up the peas. i spend about 10 minutes prepareing it.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well as I had already mentioned in another post, you should certainly stop feeding him peas.

I'm curious though, where did you hear this information and was it about Betta's? I'd like the site, if you got it from one.

Two really good Betta Pellets we recommend here is Omega One Betta Pellets and New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, both when used correctly, won't make your Betta bloat or be constipated. It's better to spend money on good food than have to worry over a sick Betta...right?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, constipated, sushi