Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 
romance00

Talking hi everybody!

i've had my betta, fishy (don't judge lol) since christmastime 2012. he's the first fish i've ever owned (betta or otherwise), and i know nothing about them. i put in a lot of research when i first brought him home (he was a baby, not the normal bigger ones that the pet stores sell so i was especially nervous) and tried to learn as much as i could. apparently i've done pretty good because he's almost tripled in size, has GORGEOUS fins and coloring, he's a happy little camper, eats like a champ, and has a personality all his own. i adore him

if any of you members have any advice on ANYTHING, feel free to pass it along. i want to make sure i'm giving the little one the best home he can have and will be as healthy as possible.

i posted a new thread in the disease/er forum too...he's been getting a lot of white coloring on the edges of his fins, and i want to make sure he's ok. any advice would help!

thank youuuu :)
romance00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum, so nice to have you join us. Sounds like you had very merry Christmas getting your little baby Betta at Christmas time, that is so great !
Isnt it wonderful to see him so happy and healthy and yes they all seem to have their own personality, so much fun getting to know your Betta. I hope you enjoy your time here. The white coloring on the fins could just be where he is showing his true colors, could be a butterfly, they have white edges of their fins I believe. I will go have a look.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #3 
ArrowheadShark

Talking

And Welcome! It's myyyy... Third day here? XD Yes, i think today will be my third. What size tank do you keep him in? And for that matter, what's your Betta's name? I have Shark sitting on my desk in front of me, almost eye-level since my computer is stuffed under the desk (i like my little cave :D)

He surprised me this morning with a bubble nest! *o* First time I've ever seen one. He's lucky it's not a cage-change today xD

Do you have any pictures of your boy?
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 
romance00

my boy's name is fishy

and a bubble nest?? what's that?!

here's my favorite picture of my little one, after he got a little older and his fins grew :D
Name:  603267_666565257719_1127117061_n.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  56.7 KB

here's one from this morning with the new whites on his fins:
Name:  fishy2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  54.5 KB
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #5 
ArrowheadShark

Not sure what the white on his fins could mean - I hope it's just his coloring changing, and not a problem. Someone else on here could probablly give you more info - s' really pretty, though :'P Shark has two little white tips on his ventral fins (Think I got that right? *Googles* Yes, I did).

Bubble nests are literally just that - a nest made out of bubbles. I'm not expert on the matter, but from what I understand the males build then when they are happy/horny/to impress females to encourage them to mate with them. (Don't quote me on the next part) The male, from what I understand, collects the eggs and fry and tucks them up into the bubbles?

Either way, from what I hear it's generally a good sign if your Betta male is building one, but not neccesarily a bad sign if he isn't. It's different for every Betta.
Here are some pictures of them(not mine, googled them):
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/mrs..._9750.jpg.html
http://www.newluxuryfeed.com/wp-cont...ubblenest2.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i6WkFYSGbJ...ubble+Nest.JPG

Shark's been working on his on/off since I first spotted it this morning (which for me was almost noon XD)

If I got any of that info wrong, let me know!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #6 
ArrowheadShark

Oh, I forgot to add: I've no experience with marbled betta, with the skipping gene I believe it is called, but could that be a possibility of what is happening to Fishy?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #7 
Laki

Hello and welcome!!

Wow, he's very pretty. It looks like a simple marble change, not butterfly since butterfly is on the very ends of the fins - not all the way up to the body (I could be wrong but I have never seen otherwise)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 
romance00

yay these are all the responses i wanted to hear!

these bubble nests...will the males do it if they're the only ones in the tank? or just if they're with a female?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #9 
Laki

They usually do it in their own tank. They don't need any other fish to encourage :) Some people's fish make nests when the pressure in the atmosphere drops before bad weather! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #10 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
They usually do it in their own tank. They don't need any other fish to encourage :) Some people's fish make nests when the pressure in the atmosphere drops before bad weather! lol
Huh. Well, Shark made one - and now we're under tornado watch!