Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #21 
ArrowheadShark

Maybe off-topic, but it's betta related, and I think the knowledge would be beniffitial to Romance, too.

I'm going to be gone for four days - I was contemplating bringing Shark with me (and feeling stupid for not having taken this absence into consideration before getting him D':) but I'll be camping, and I'd worry for the temperature and stress on him. I was thinking of asking my dad if he could fish-sit Shark, or if I could get one of the betta-block feeders, so I googled them.

Apparently, they're worse than not feeding your fish? The thread was on this site, here it is:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88353
I think Shark might try to over-eat his block and get all bloated. Does anyone else have any suggestions? What's generally the longest you can leave your fish? Not that I want to leave him, but the information would be good to have ;^; *Hugs the fish tank* Never let go.
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #22 
romance00

oh man ME TOO. i hate to tap on the fish tanks, but i had to check on 3 of them to make sure the fish werent dead...they look so miserable :(

so got my boy some gravel, 2 silk plants, and a beach chair. check out the new digs :D
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  83.2 KB
romance00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #23 
ArrowheadShark

That's a nice little tank! Lol, I love the beach chair xD And wow... I haven't used 'lol' in forever! Not that I'm old or anything, I just strayed away from using it... xD

And yeah, when I was little, i used to write essays for school talking about how bad WalMart was with fish and why they shouldn't be allowed to carry them. Seriously? How has no-one shut down that? D': And other places, for that matter!

I want to get Shark some silk plants @.@ Poor baby, though he doesn't seem to mind hiding behind his rock and under his buble nest, and behind the filter, he needs some proper hiding space.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #24 
Laki

Cute beach theme tank!!

As for camping, how long are you going to be gone? Your fish won't die if he doesn't eat for 7 days, but it's recommended to have someone feed him a little while you're gone.

You're right, those feeder blocks will only pollute the water more than anything, plus they're made of all kinds of nasty things to preserve it in water for a week and I'm pretty sure there's not enough meat protein in it for a betta (despite them having bettas on some packages)

You have a 2g with gravel? If there's no other things in the tank with the betta (snail/shrimp), and if you don't overfeed him (NEVER let any pieces fall to the gravel) then you could get away with vacuuming the gravel every second week but keep in mind once you let BB establish over a 2 week period the sudden washing away of them might spark some sort of crazy parameter issue (not saying this WILL happen, but it could) so I would wash it every week instead. Smaller tanks have a harder time keeping a stable parameter anyway so to be on the safe side. :)

You could pick up a turkey baster at the dollarstore for now though.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #25 
ArrowheadShark

I'll be gone for three days - come back on the forth one, and I expect Shark to be giving me the stink eye as well as the "FEED ME PLEASE" look. He's learned to wriggle and flare up at me and get all excited when I walk into my room, because he's hoping I'll feed him xD
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #26 
Laki

He'll be fine if nobody feeds him honestly. But if someone is home ask them to drop in a couple pellets :) Yes, he's sure to be very upset and dramatic with you lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #27 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The longest I have left Perseus is two days and he has always been fine, I do a water change the morning before I leave and feed him. I open the curtain in the room he is in so he will have day and night but no room lights on. Shark will miss you and his feedings but he should be fine, to bad you dont live close I would fish sit for you...lol

romance00 I love the beach theme !!! I have got to one of those beach chairs, I am planning on doing a blue summer theme for Perseus soon and that beach chair would be perfect ! I will post some pics when I get it done.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #28 
ArrowheadShark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
He'll be fine if nobody feeds him honestly. But if someone is home ask them to drop in a couple pellets :) Yes, he's sure to be very upset and dramatic with you lol
It's a mandatory weekend at the dorms, so there won't be anyone around to feed him. Shark'll just have to wait until I get back - sorry, bud ;w; I just won't fast him this Wednesday, then.

AND YES. I don't know if I said it already, but the beach theme is really awesome. That lawn chair.

...does he ever rest in it? That would be so funny! xD

Thanks for the heads up, Perseus :'D
Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #29 
romance00

thank you guys! fishy is SO happy in his new digs...LOVES the plants and still hides out in the castle. i haven't seen him on the beach chair, but oh MAN would i love to see that!

and fyi, i got the beach chair at petco...it's with the hermit crab decorations ;)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #30 
romance00

you hangin in there arrowhead???

so check THIS out. not only is fishy's color on his fins totally changing, it's now creeping down his body! it's cool to watch, but i kinda wish he'd stay that deep blue :/ ah well...my little man is growing!

Name:  fishy3.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  61.5 KB