Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Meet...

Hidalgo. I went today to PSmart to get a little female that I've had my eye on. She is clamped and stressed, but nowhere near as bad as this guy. I actually found several really sick fish. I ended up choosing this guy instead, and I may bring home another one tomorrow if I can figure out how to make room. The one I left behind is a beautiful lavender dragon scale PK.

I believe Hidalgo is the term for a noble born gentleman in Spanish, but correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know why but I saw him and immediately the first word that popped into my head was Hidalgo. I don't even speak Spanish (in fact I failed Spanish) so I came home and googled it. I am hoping to adopt him out, if he makes it. He is in pretty bad shape, but I'm hoping he'll do better with some TLC.
Attached Images

NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #2 
LouiMon

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I'm sure he'll be gorgeous once he gets some love. He's lucky to have you.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 
crowntaillove3

It's so good to hear that those who are able to save bettas do it!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

He will be my third official rescue. The first one had serious SBD, the second no anal fin. This guy just appears to be super stressed out (but it's hard to tell because he is so clamped up). Hopefully, warm water and some IAL will make him a happy boy.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Just an update. I moved him into a breeder box in the 10 g (no fish in there just an ADF, mystery snails and ghost shrimp). That way I can use the heater for him without having to figure out an outlet for him, and I tested the parameters before putting him in and they were perfect. I spent about 6 hours acclimating him through a slow drip. He did not leave the bottom of his cup except to breath. In his breeder box he has decided to use the the IAL I put in there to float on. He seems fairly comfortable, and actually might be starting to unclamp slightly (although he is still really tight into himself).

I got the 2.5 g ready in case any diseases present themselves. I will move him into there for treatment. But, at this point I have no idea where I would plug in the heater. Likely I would have to unplug someone elses heater. Ugh. Unfortunately, I do not live in a house with people who appreciate bettas as much as I do. But, my boyfriend is making an offer on a house tomorrow. So hopefully, soon my fish will have their own "betta room".
Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 
JellOh

Surge protectors= fish owners best friend. I have an industrial one with 18 ( I think) plugs just for my divided 10gallon and shrimp tank. They are honestly the bees knees.

Good luck with him!

Last edited by JellOh; 05-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
Surge protectors= fish owners best friend. I have an industrial one with 18 ( I think) plugs just for my divided 10gallon and shrimp tank. They are honestly the bees knees.

Good luck with him!
Yeah. I need to get one, but I'm kinda nervous about having that many things plugged in. I've never had an electrical fire, and I don't think anyone in our family has either. But, growing up my grandma and mom beat into my head electrical outlets = fire.

I've looked him over and no signs of fungus, no signs of discoloration, his color is actually still very vibrant, no white spots, no white fuzz, both eyes are the same size, and he doesn't have a "rust" on him when a flashlight is shined on him. So, I'm hoping he's just stressed out.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

UPDATE:

Hidalgo is still alive. He is still not eating, so I'm thinking I'll try frozen bloodworms tonight, and then garlic soaked pellets tomorrow. I can't get a good picture of him because he's a little speedy fish. He zips around his little space like I'm a lion chasing him when I try to take his picture. I have a bunch of red blurs on my phone.

I realized yesterday I think he may actually be injured. I thought his tail was clamped flat, but I think his tail is actually mostly gone. It is narrower than his body, but I think that's because there is nothing much left of his tail. I think his dorsal fin is just gone too.

I was really nervous about putting him in with the snails, shrimp and ADF, but I am glad I did. He seems to enjoy interacting with them through the box. My big black mystery snail scared him when he was climbing on the box yesterday. But, he calmed down once he realized the snail couldn't get to him.

I'll keep working on getting a picture of the little snot. He'll sit perfectly still when I watch him but whip out that camera and he's like "time to play".