Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
quietlythundering

A Trip To Walmart: Part II

So last friday, I posted about how I went to a Walmart where someone was putting bettas in the display tanks with other fish. I flagged someone down, and she was extremely nice, polite, and helpful. When I had to go, she was continuing to search for more cups so that she could take more out.
So this time around, I go check the fish area, and see that there are more bettas in the same situation. Peeved, I go in search of assistance, and end up calling two people over from the garden area. They claim they can help me, yet when I politely ask for them to please remove the bettas from these tanks, they tell me that only the person in charge of fish can do.
"Fine, may you please go get her then?"
When they returned with the girl on shift, it wasn't the same girl as last time. This girl was about my age (think 19, 20, 21) and looked annoyed, but asked, "How may I help you?"
So I started off by stating "I'm not trying to be a nuisance, but..." and repeated what I told the other two, and she told me that only the girls were in these tanks. When I pointed out that there were males in there too, she replied that they were fine, and asked why I thought they should be moved.
"They are quite aggressive, especially in small spaces."
She gave an exaggerated sigh, and said, "Well yeah, that's why they're called Japanese fighting fish."
Thinking it petty to correct her, I decided to ignore that statement and her unreasonable annoyance, and continued.
"I'm sorry, but this is not a good idea. While it is a nice idea, since they do need warm, filtered water, they should not be in such a close space with other fish. It isn't good for the bettas, and it isn't good for the other fish."
She gave me this look, opened one of the tanks, poked one of the bettas with a net (he swam away into a corner, poor boy), and said, "Look, these are my bettas. I've been taking care of them for a while, and besides, it was the General Fish Manager's idea. I can't move them unless they're being bought, or he gives the okay." Then, she closed the lid and put her hand on hip, and as if daring me to answer, stared at me.
I was starting to lose my patience with her, but I said, "Well, then, may you please ask him to kindly remove these bettas from these tanks?"
"He has the morning shift," she quickly said.
"Then in the morning, when he comes in, ask him to move them."
"I will."
"Thank you, and have a good evening." I walked off, feeling mad enough to spit poison at her.
That was strike two.
Next time I go in, if nothing has changed, I'm going directly to the manager and asking him/her to do something.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
quietlythundering

I forgot to ask, but did I handle that well?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #3 
Polkadot

Yes you handled that very well.Hopefully they will listen to you.Again,good on you for caring & speaking up for the little bettas.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 
quietlythundering

Thank you, Polkadot. I kinda feel like I chickened out, like I left too early.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 
peachii

https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback

That is the email for sending in a customer complaint. I'd do that. I sent one when the poor Oscars and bala sharks were so eaten up with Ick it looked like they were white marshmellows - a week after I pointed it out to employees and after they had killed all the bala sharks by not treating them and still refused to treat the Oscars properly. I got a follow up call from the store manager of that Wal-Mart and the promise that the fish were going to be taken care of promptly.

The next day (he called on Easter Sunday) someone got overtime to clean ALL the tanks, treat all the fish and actually saved the lives of most of the Oscar fish. The employees literally did every single thing I told the manager that they needed to do to keep the fish alive. I was shocked that he took notes and advise from someone but he felt it was important enough to listen to someone who had a lot of fish, so that no more fish died. They were so far into it, I was kind of shocked that they lived honestly.

When it comes to endangering the lives of animals by not following proper procedures, I wouldn't hesitate to complain to someone higher up. No telling how many bettas they have killed by keeping them this way.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #6 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
Not at all. Don't feel that way, that girl was doing as she was told by her boss - not much you can say to that. Next time you go in and check it out, don't ask for someone in that area - ask for the highest level manager on duty then be prepared with your facts and explain in detail why male bettas can't be kept together. Ask them if they want the fish to kill each other? Then explain why male and female can't be kept together, not only will they kill each other eventually but WTF are they going to do if a successful breeding takes place and they have 200 fry to take care of.

Explain that you have come in 2 different times and spoken to the pet employee each time and that it is still occuring. It's just awful that they let people who have no idea what they are doing take care of living beings.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #7 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
Not at all,you handled it very well.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 
quietlythundering

At Peachii- I feel more courageous about it now that you've told me your success story. They weren't keeping two bettas to a tank (thank goodness, or I'd have raised a bigger fuss!!!!!!) with the exception of the first time around.

At Polkadot- Thank you. I felt like if I had said anymore, I would have snapped, and that kind of behavior wouldn't have gotten me anywhere. I just hope I can keep a cool head when I go back this Friday.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #9 
BetterBetta22

What kind of fish were they being kept with? Bettas are actually considered semi-aggressive and do very well in community tanks as long as there not being kept with things like oscars and Paco they should be fine I've kept betta with a lot of community fish including neons which are quite a bit smaller the key to that is to make sure they smaller fish ( like neons ) are kept in a school 4 or more and then the betta will usually leave them alone. The only community fish betta might go after are things like black skirt tetra or other long finned fish as they confuse them for other betta. Betta are made out to be aggressive fish but honestly in the correct conditions there very gentle unless put with there own kind
BetterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #10 
quietlythundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta22 View Post
What kind of fish were they being kept with? Bettas are actually considered semi-aggressive and do very well in community tanks as long as there not being kept with things like oscars and Paco they should be fine I've kept betta with a lot of community fish including neons which are quite a bit smaller the key to that is to make sure they smaller fish ( like neons ) are kept in a school 4 or more and then the betta will usually leave them alone. The only community fish betta might go after are things like black skirt tetra or other long finned fish as they confuse them for other betta. Betta are made out to be aggressive fish but honestly in the correct conditions there very gentle unless put with there own kind
I don't remember exactly the names, but they were with everything but other bettas and goldfish. I know that they can be with other fish, and that wasn't so much my problem; I've read many stories about successful community tanks here, and someday I hope to start my own.
My gripe was that they were with these other fish, in a space that was too small for the original inhabitants and certainly too small to successfully integrate a betta. Thus, there was aggression with fish that normally a betta might be friendly with, because there was simply too many fish in one tank. Plus, each betta has its own temperament, which I'm sure one must consider when planning a community of fish; however, these were carelessly tossed into the mix, with no thought as to whether the individual animal would be suited for community life. I hope that I can get this across to the manager that, as you said, they can be gentle and neighborly, but like anything else, it must be under the right conditions.