Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 
Roemgie

10 girls in 10 gallons, HELP!

Hey guys!

So I have moved dorm rooms and will be in my summer housing for about 2.5-3 months. I had been cycling a 10 and a 5 gallon tank in the hopes that I could transfer the cycle to my 20 long tank. Unfortunately I messed that one up and now have my 10 girls in a 10 gallon uncycled tank...

I thought this would be ok because I figured I'd cycle the twenty and hopefully it wouldn't take 4 weeks since I had two established filters...well I've been adding in ammonia for the past two days like its an uncycled tank and the ammonia reads are getting up there but then I tested my 10 gallon to see how the ammonia levels in that were going...they were at .25 and that was only from 24 hours of being in the 10 gallon...

So my question is,

1.) Should I stop trying to cycle my 20 long since I'll be moving AGAIN in 2.5-3 months and just put the girls in there and make sure to do large water changes to keep the ammonia levels down?

OR

2.) Should I leave the girls in there and give my 20 long a week or so before I call it quits?

P.S. I will be leaving for a wedding from May 24-28. My roommate should be able to feed them (if not they should be fine) but NO ONE WILL BE HERE TO DO REGULAR WATER CHANGES! Meaning, if the ammonia goes from 0 to .25 ppm in 24 hours...I hate to think what would happen after 4-5 days! I of course don't know if maybe the water all my girls were in (5 had cups with cycled water and 5 had uncycled water).

MY PERSONAL FEELINGS: Being that I now am sharing a dorm room (and have a boy who was suppose to be a girl meaning I have one extra 2.5 tank that I didn't plan for!) I have limited space...my 20 long is obviously taking up most of it, which I don't mind, but really I've noticed that the girls are nippy even with all my cover (I know that happens when you first introduce them but I like the idea of them having all the space they need) and I want them to have more space to move around (or get away).

So all in all, is it a good idea to have them in a 20 long that isn't cycled and me doing regular testings to make sure the ammonia isn't too high? I feel horrible not having a cycled tank for them BUT I will have my two sponge filters in there for oxygen and they'll have SO much room to move around it!

I'll post pictures of it all soon!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would move them to the 20g. Its twice the size of the 10g which means ammonia won't build up as quickly. As for being gone, you'll be able to monitor how much the ammo builds over the days before you leave & that'll give you an idea as to how bad it might be over those 4 days you'll be gone. You can have the person who will feed them dose the tank with Prime once or twice. I would do a water change before leaving, test as soon as you get back & do a water change if necessary. Also I wouldn't worry about feeding them except maybe once possibly twice to help cut down on the bio load for those days.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #3 
Myates

I would just do a fish-in cycle in the 20 gallon.. honestly in the last 20 years I've only ever done fish in. Just keep testing and doing water changes when you see the numbers go up the same as you would doing it fish-less.

The reason your 10g ammonia spiked up is because you added a lot of fish all at once - and that will always spike the ammonia up quickly when there are multiples added at once. So I would do a 50% water change now and check again daily for a few days until it settles down if you decide to hold off on moving them... but I would recommend moving at least half of them to the 20g, as 10 girls in 10 gallons will end up being a few less in a short amount of time, sadly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #4 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I would move them to the 20g. Its twice the size of the 10g which means ammonia won't build up as quickly. As for being gone, you'll be able to monitor how much the ammo builds over the days before you leave & that'll give you an idea as to how bad it might be over those 4 days you'll be gone. You can have the person who will feed them dose the tank with Prime once or twice. I would do a water change before leaving, test as soon as you get back & do a water change if necessary. Also I wouldn't worry about feeding them except maybe once possibly twice to help cut down on the bio load for those days.
Thank you! After about 3 hours I finally brought my ammonia level down to 0 in my 20 long and now the ladies are swimming around happily exploring their tank :) I unfortunately have class at 9 today and so I'll be hitting the hay in a few minutes so they won't be able to enjoy actually seeing it until the sun comes up lol.

I really REALLY hope the ammonia levels won't sky rocket in my 20!! I don't know what I'll do if I constantly have to change the water since its not cycled -____- I forgot how frustrating it is to have an uncycled tank!!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would just do a fish-in cycle in the 20 gallon.. honestly in the last 20 years I've only ever done fish in. Just keep testing and doing water changes when you see the numbers go up the same as you would doing it fish-less.

The reason your 10g ammonia spiked up is because you added a lot of fish all at once - and that will always spike the ammonia up quickly when there are multiples added at once. So I would do a 50% water change now and check again daily for a few days until it settles down if you decide to hold off on moving them... but I would recommend moving at least half of them to the 20g, as 10 girls in 10 gallons will end up being a few less in a short amount of time, sadly.
Will that really not harm the girls? I feel like because I'll only be here for less than 3 months cycling is almost pointless because I will have to empty this tank completely in order to transfer it over to the new dorm for the fall. So I honestly hope it won't be difficult setting up an uncycled 20 gallon with 10 girls!

After taking forever to get the ammonia in my 20 gallon to 0 they are now all happily swimming around in the 20 long :) but I don't have a proper top so I'm using a white board and a sheet of paper until I can run to a pet store tomorrow!

They defiantly seem to enjoy the space!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you move the tank with the gravel and filter still moist and then set it up asap you would probably hold your cycle.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
If you move the tank with the gravel and filter still moist and then set it up asap you would probably hold your cycle.
Unfortunately I had the perfect idea in mind but then when it came down to it I forgot what to do and so I killed my cycle :(
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree that the 20 is better. A ten is cramped with 10 girls even if cycled. I know you might not have a lot of money but my only suggestion would be to get some bacteria in a bottle. The easiest to find is Tetra safestart because you can find it at Walmart for like $7.

I'd dump in a whole bottle if you are able to get it. I know there are mixed reviews but it worked like a charm in my 5.5 gallon and has worked for others here. You should use up the entire bottle right after opening it though.

I think if its already kind of established the BB in a bottle might work better. The tank I used it on already was occupied for some time. Haven't tried it on a brand new set up ever.

That's the only suggestion I have :/ $7 is a bit especially if you keep moving tanks and have to use it again and again but sororities are so delicate they really need to be cycled or have live plants (or both).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #9 
jentralala
Reference Team

Look into adding live plants if your light can support them. They suck up ammonia incredibly fast, along with nitrite. Fast growing things like Water Sprite, Frogbit, Duckweed, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Elodea, etc work best.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote