Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #1 
bettafishbeauty

Question Where do you buy your betta fish from?

I bought most of my betta's from local pet stores and Petco and Petsmart. Make sure they are healthy looking.
bettafishbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not all people go in, for healthy looking fish. They go in, and see a sick fish, and take it home to give it a better chance of survival. If it were not for the fact the white dragonscale CT male with black fins, was not so expensive I would have gotten him!!

Also note great signs of a healthy fish: If in a tank, no other fish is dead or sick. Lethargy being a sign of illness or stress that can lead to illness. I've boycotted many-a-store because of seeing such things, including improper "space saving" sororities x.x
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3 
registereduser

Most of mine came from Petco. I have bought from breeders but not too often since the shipping costs more than the fish! So far I have found the Petco fish to be pretty healthy, though I have rescued a few in bad shape, not all have lived.

There is a LFS near me now and they have some beautiful bettas, not as much variety as Petco but really nice and well cared for. Might buy one of those someday.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I used to get canadian bred fish and imports from a lady in Ontario (shipping sucks worse in Canada than it ever will in the USA...) then I also bought fish from BettaFX, and also Logisticsguy.... Other than that, my HMs and DeTs came from Petsmart. I avoided PJ's Pets which is now Petland, who I still avoid. I may or may not give Aquarium Central another chance to redeem their sorry arses. I am a stickler for proper care, especially in stores wanting business. Dead fish does not equal profit.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 
countyrd419

Petsmart is where I bought my new male betta fish "Rusty."
The store by me in Oviedo, FL has some knowledgeable associates.
Don't forget this site too.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #6 
Luimeril

i won't buy from my local PetSmart ever again. :I while the tanks were good looking, their bettas were not. and the gal my friend bought me on Valentine's day, died two days later. a few years back, the same thing happened at the same store. the betta my friend bought me died that night.

now, i buy from a store down here called Pet Lover's. i've never had a betta die quick from them. some of mine are also bettas i adopted from friends, and i have one i bought from a breeder on Aquabid.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Of the bettas I have 4 came from PSmart because I work there. Two of those I bought because I fell in love with their personalities. Two I bought because they were in need of special attention. One of those I just got yesterday and I expect I'll lose him, but at least I feel good about trying. Then my 5th betta was a Wal-Mart rescue, who had SBD.

At this point (after educating myself somewhat in betta rescuing), I wouldn't look to buy a healthy betta. I would much rather try to save a sick betta than leave them on the shelf to die.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
All of mine came from Petsmart since its the closest.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #9 
Rana

All my fish have come from an independent store near my college, since I prefer it over the chains. Now that I'm home for the summer I'll probably be buying a betta from PetCo since they seem better cared for & have more variety than the PetSmart near my house, even though it's further away. I wish I could devote myself to rehabbing sick fish, but I don't have the resources.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #10 
Rosewynn

Petco. My local one specializes in fish so they keep a wider variety of stock in addition to just carrying more. They also keep their cups really clean and feed the smaller mouthed fish/babies crushed up regular pellets or baby pellets. I am impressed with the level of care they have there.

Our Petsmart on the other hand...sad. The only time I leave there with something in a cup it's a Marimo ball.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish care