Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #21 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well that really depends on what betta species you keep.

Most betta owners choose not to cycle their tanks because it is easier to do water change than wait the four or so weeks for a tank to fully cycle.
I agree, not all species are the same. However, the vast majority are of the betta spendens complex.

Perhaps most betta keepers that don't keep other tanks with a variety of other fish "choose not to cycle" their tanks.
But your statement perfectly illustrates my point, which is that it seems that many of the betta keepers (versus fish keepers) don't understand the nitrogen cycle and how it works. For starters, the cycle is GOING to happen. That's just nature. The only way to prevent it from happening is to constantly clean everything and change the media all the time....which it seems is what many of them prefer to do. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would actively inhibit the cycle, unless they simply don't understand it. They cycle is your friend!

They don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the tank to properly cycle?? That seems awful selfish if you ask me, and it goes against the "I want what's best for my betta" mantra. What's best for a fish is a cycled tank. Period. But this is the kicker - after they've kept up on this rigorous water changing regimen for a couple of months, they HAVE a cycle! What they do is called a fish-in cycle in the world of fish keeping. Its one of the ways to cycle a tank, albeit widely accepted as cruel and unnecessary. The difference is that fish keepers recognize that they have a cycle and relax, while betta keepers continue to be afraid that their fish are going to die and keep it up indefinitely.

I think betta keepers need to spend some time talking with fish keepers.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

It's not selfish, just another way of doing things. I am sure there are plenty of people out there with bettas who are perfectly healthy and happy living in uncycled tanks.

None of my tanks are cycled because the pH is way too low and inhibits the growth of beneficial bacteria, and my fish do fine.

My bettas in cycled tanks keeled over just as easily as the bettas in non-cycled tanks. I never had a splendens live past two years no matter how well I cared for them or what kind of environment I housed them in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #23 
Bombalurina

I'm both a betta keeper and a fish keeper. My tanks have all been cycled, always. However, I don't think it is right to generalise about betta keepers that way - plenty of people on here understand the cycle. In the small tanks bettas often live in, the cycle is proven to be unstable, as even months after a nitrate reading shows up, an ammonia reading may still appear. It's not scare-mongering - it's just what the test kits show. Further, many betta-keepers simply don't use filters, as a lot of long-fin bettas seem to struggle with the current. Again, not my method, but it's what works for these guys. With no movement other than the lazy and sporadic swimming of a betta, surely the bacteria in the substrate simply aren't getting the circulation they need?

And whilst I disagree with fish-in cycling in the general sense, for a lot of people, it's unavoidable. For instance: I ended up in a situation where I had two unexpected female guppies, and the only place to put them was in a 5 gallon with a female betta. She was constantly harassing them, so I had to put them into my new 16 gallon simply to give them room to get away from her. Sure, I seeded the tank, but I still had to do a fish-in cycle because the alternative was worse.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #24 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Explain to me why an ammonia spike would be on its way?? The only way that could possibly be the case is if your tank is not cycled. Ammonia spikes are NEVER a concern in a cycled tank, unless you are adding fish or you make the mistake if throwing out your media.

As for filthy water - if there are particulates in the water, then that is an indication that your filtration is inadequate. Plain and simple.

Actually it's pretty safe to assume many of the tanks have improper filtration. I say this as a betta/fish keeper who has had many tanks with improper filters at first. Many sets sold for less then 20 gallons are sold with filters that aren't really adequate. 2 of my aqueon tanks sold with such filters had to rip apart the filter and alter them ghetto rgged style to hold a cycle properly and my 2.5 minibow really acts like a non cylced tank and needs more frequent water changes because it's maybe not possible to alter this filter. I can honestly say the larger tanks surely hold a better cycle and this is not exactly because they are larger bt more because I had to put more time and thought into the filter for them and made sure of things I was not aware of when I first purchased the smaller tanks. So perhaps a good amount of "betta" advice is based upon improper filtration. My first properly set up tank(great filter plus tranferred BB) was a shocker. I kept testing everything daily and was completly thrown when it always came back as 0-0-0 ph ~7 lol
Agent13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #25 
jaysee
Reference Team

If the tank is heated, then there is movement of water.

In all the forums I've been a part of, I've not seen one condone what amounts to keeping a betta in a bowl. Obviously it's been deemed acceptable here - I guess because there are enough people that do it that that makes it okay. I don't know if its just the demographics or what, but go and join a regular fish forum, say you have a betta in an unfiltered 1 gallon "tank" and see what they say....

jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Just because I don't see an issue with uncycled tanks, doesn't mean I am all for throwing a betta in a 1 gallon bowl. In a perfect world bettas would live in cycled, heated 5-10 gallon tanks. But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world and as long as the basic needs of the fish are being met this is what matters most.

Also if the demographics of this forum offend you so much, why even bother posting here?

You are coming across very much as 'my way or the highway' and in fishkeeping there is no one way of doing things.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #27 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Just because I don't see an issue with uncycled tanks, doesn't mean I am all for throwing a betta in a 1 gallon bowl. In a perfect world bettas would live in cycled, heated 5-10 gallon tanks. But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world and as long as the basic needs of the fish are being met this is what matters most.

Also if the demographics of this forum offend you so much, why even bother posting here?

You are coming across very much as 'my way or the highway' and in fishkeeping there is no one way of doing things.
But it's true! This forum does simplify the cycle for newer users unless they truly dig through EVERYTHING. I had to keep refering to another forum that was for general fish keeping and ADF keeping to get info on how to alter a filter to keep a cycle . I am gatefull for that and I'm sure many other keepers would be if it was offered but I haven't seen it since I've been on here. Understanding filters and proper cycles is key and highly non reported on here. But it should be talked about.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #28 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

This forum is suppose to be a safe place for all our members to share their advise and what I am hearing is Not safe advise for all our members more like bashing the forum and being snarky. I would like to remind you that we now have a feedback area in tropicalfishkeeping.com and members are more than welcome to use that area if you feel this forum does not offer enough advise for the more advanced fish keepers do feel free to share your Feedback and Suggestions there. Here is the link to that area in case you do not know where is it.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...0/#post2055794
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #29 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
This forum is suppose to be a safe place for all our members to share their advise and what I am hearing is Not safe advise for all our members more like bashing the forum and being snarky. I would like to remind you that we now have a feedback area in tropicalfishkeeping.com and members are more than welcome to use that area if you feel this forum does not offer enough advise for the more advanced fish keepers do feel free to share your Feedback and Suggestions there. Here is the link to that area in case you do not know where is it.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...0/#post2055794
I must not even be a member. I have to sign into this again and I'm completely unfamiliar with this site?? Maybe this should be better explained in a complete way as I never knew about the other part of ths website.... or whatever it is.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

I think it's like a sister site/Bettafish.com is a part of the main TropicalFishKeeping site. I never quite understood the relationship either.

Tags
betta fish care