Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #11 
ReneeS

Holy cow, 90?! I can't imagine having time cleaning all those tanks!! I've heard of AquaBid and I also saw an ebay seller that had so many beautiful betta. He (she?) has 100% positive feedback and tons of great comments from buyers. We were close to buying one of his, but then fell in love with little Franklin in a local independent pet store.
ReneeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #12 
ReneeS

@NeptunesMom LOL So, you're a bad influence!!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol, I should definitely start adding a "warning" to my "welcome to the forum" thing too, I'm also a bad enabler that will tell you to get more XD

Most of my girls/boys came from Local Fish stores (LFS), actually only 2 girls were from Petco/Petsmart and then Rembrandt was a lucky find at a Petsense and the rest were from my two LFS's :D And then the two girls coming in are from AB, my first two!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #14 
ReneeS

That's true, you're a bad influence too then. hehe

We looked at Petsmart, and the bettas looked so unhealthy and sad. There were even some that were dead. On the recommendation of a friend, we went to this other little pet store and their bettas looked much better, even if they were in little cups.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hehehe....yeah...maybe XD

Oh I lied, 3 girls came from Petco/Petsmart. The two from Petsmart were Maddie and Raven, both were rescues. Raven had a awful case of velvet and a body slime infection, Raven had immensly tattered fins and some bad fin rot but both are all healed up now!

It is sad going to those stores though, I do find lots of dead fish and then half of the VT's no one wants to buy because they are "boring" or look half dead anyway! Once I get more room I want to rescue some more Betta's though.

It is difficult to stock Betta's, even if they are at a small LFS. You still can't putt them together and lots of 1 gallon tanks would just take up space so I do understand that, but it still sucks you know? I actually donated two .5 gallon bowls to my LFS that started up again after being out for 3 months, so they immediately put a Betta in each to get them out of the bottoms of 2 liter soda bottles lol. They didn't quite have enough space so they had some boys in cleaned out wine glasses and cut off soda bottles. So they were thankful for that at least.

There's only so much you can do for them besides just give them a nice warm home
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeS View Post
@NeptunesMom LOL So, you're a bad influence!!
Yes, Yes I am.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #17 
ReneeS

Wow, that's fantastic and so nice of you. I might try donating some too. I know even after one day, Franklin looks healthier. I've done a lot of rescue work not with fish, but with cats, but I will have to help out the betta's now as well!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's fantastic! I love cats as well and with the feral mama cat we've got around, I've got my hands full with 8 of them!

3 are at my dad's house and then at my mom's we have the mother cat and her 4 kittens. We're going to spay her soon (and yes I know she could already be pregnant) so we're trying to get everything done as quickly as we can. The kittens are going to be three weeks old this wednesday and hopefully we can bring them in soon!

But yes, rescuing Betta's is great too! I actually hated the bowls which were given to me so I was never going to use them again, better to put them to a good use :D Same with some gravel that came free with my 33 gallon. :D

And we do have a lot of knowledgeable people on here who could help if you do decide to rescue!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #19 
ReneeS

That's great! The 3 wk old kittens have a few more weeks with their momma before they can be weaned. if you ever need advice on kittens or cats, please don't hesitate to ask! We have 4 cats of our own and have rescued/fostered/adopted out two litters of kittens as well as spaying and neutering probably over a dozen now and adopted out a lot as well. Have you heard of TNR (trap/neuter/return)? We do that and have a back alley of 6 cats that we care for. They're our extended outside family.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you! Yes, I had done research right after they were born to figure all the nitty-gritty details out :D They all have future homes to go to once they are weaned off Mama.

The problem with the TNR is that the places we have around here won't charge the Feral price if the cat seems house broken or too friendly. And that is a problem since our cat is very lovable but she's most definitely a feral. I know there's no harm in trying it and the worse comes out we pay a higher price, but the system we have isn't very good unfortunately