Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #1 
jakammey

My Fish Won't Eat

I just moved into college and my beta that I had for a while died because he wouldn't eat. I got a new beta 2 days ago, and he hasn't ate since I got him. We can't have heaters in the dorms, so I don't know exactly how warm the water is. I fed him Hikari betta bio-gold baby pellets and he doesnt eat them. sometimes he will, but then spits them back out. I am going to change half of the water tomorrow, but I don't know what else to do. I dont want him to die just like my other one. How can I get him to eat?
jakammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas can be very picky eaters and he may not like the pellets you are giving him. It may just take time for him to get used to his new home, also. If he's acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. Just give him time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #3 
Haeclark

lol ya I had my fun with that...even bought the talked about gold brand that beta's are suppose to love so much...Blue just spat them out! The only pellets he ever ate was when I fist brought him home...gave him some in his little cup, and he ate them all [7 total...before I found out 2-3 better]. Makes me think he hadnt been fed very well before as he wont eat the pellets at all now. LOVES his bloodworms, and is ok with his flakes [although he still spits some out while eatting]
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes you have to try several different things before you find something your fish really likes. I have never had a problem with mine not eating. Unless they are sick, mine eat like little pigs, especially my female. She scarfs down anything I put in front of her. Haahaa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #5 
Flashygrrl

Next time you're somewhere with pet supplies pick up a thermometer that goes inside the tank (not on that sticks to the outside). If your tank water does not consistently stay at 78 degrees you really do need to get a small heater for him. What size tank do you have?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote