Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

acclimating bettas

What is the best way to acclimate new bettas? I'm expecting two new fish that I just ordered from a fish store and I think they come from California or Florida so I know the water is different. I want to make the transition as easy for them as I can.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #2 
drazen

betta accl.

what are you going to keep you're betta in? if you keep you're betta in a tank , standard pre. are put the bag with the fish in you're already acclam. tank for 2 hrs. so the temps get very close. The bag will float and you can open the top of the bag to let in some o2 and hold the top of the bag with the tank cover. If you're betta has a very small home then put out a container of water the day before you by the fish. When you bring you're fish home use the water in the bag as long as the fish store keeps clean water and poor it into the bowl and then top it with you're standing water. standing water should be at room temp so keep it in a warm place.
drazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #3 
craig+pearl

do it like you do a regular new fish. Put it in a bag and keep it in there for a couple of hours
craig+pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #4 
Flashygrrl

Float the bag for 15 mins closed, 15 mins open, pour a 1/2 cup of your tank water in and let sit for 15 mins, repeat, then if you can catch him in your hand and get him out it's best to do that because the bag water will probably be pretty icky and nets can harm fins. What size tank are you going to house him in?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #5 
drazen

catch him in you're hand

catch him in you're hand , oh my god. The advice on this forum can be scary.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #6 
kritas

Drazen, just so you know... Catching the fish with your hand to move it is the smartest idea, providing you have doused your hands with water around 130F, and not with soap...
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

They will be in gallon containers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #8 
drazen

Kritas: Just to set it straight. If you try and catch a fish with you're hand you will cause him major stress and bring on illness from stress, and more so for the first time the fish has seen you.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #9 
iamntbatman

I don't see how using your hand is any more stressful than a net. I use a drinking glass if possible, but in a small bag like that, your hand would work just fine.

I had to hand-catch about half of my last batch of 34 kribensis fry that were about 1" in size because they learned that hiding down in the corners protected them from the net. I didn't lose a single fish, and there were no diseases.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #10 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I acclimate just as Flashygrrl, only after the steps she lists I gently pour the water, with the fish, into a net (with a bucket underneath) then release right away into my tank. I've done this with every fish and never had a problem. Just my two cents into the mix. :)
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote