Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 
SeaKnight

SeaKnight and Midnight

Hello, my name is Teresa and I am the current caretaker of 2 Male Veiltail Bettas

that I adopted from Petco approx 1 month ago (They were turned in by a family who had received them as party gifts but did not want them). I was only planning for one but wound up taking both because the Son was so upset at the thought of them being "seperated" (He couldn't have been more than 5). Anyway, I am somewhat new to fish care... My current 40 gallon Hex (Which is currently housing Midnight alone, he was being picked on in the one tank and was a bully in the other), 30 gallon (which houses about 20 or so Endler/guppies, 4 african dwarf frogs Kermit, Robin, Sandy and Oso, 1 pleco and SeaKnight and 10 gallon (The kids tank which houses 3 goldfish, Spike, Scardy and Spot.) standard tanks are the first of many attempts over the years, that have not "crashed" despite having an 18 month old in the house....
LOL.... I am hoping to learn as much as I can about fish care in general and maybe one day breed these wonderful creatures...
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #2 
shellieca

Sounds like you have good set ups except for the gold fish. If I understand correctly you have 3 in a 10g? I would move them to the 40g & move that Betta to the 10g. Goldie's are BIG waste producers & a 10g is not adequate for them to properly grow. If left in a too small tank their growth will be stunted, which means a shorter life span, their body quits growing but their internal organs don't. It is typically recommended that one Goldie needs 20g & each additional Goldie needs 10g, so for 3 a 40g is the bare minimum & of course that depends on the type of Goldie.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #3 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Sounds like you have good set ups except for the gold fish. If I understand correctly you have 3 in a 10g? I would move them to the 40g & move that Betta to the 10g. Goldie's are BIG waste producers & a 10g is not adequate for them to properly grow. If left in a too small tank their growth will be stunted, which means a shorter life span, their body quits growing but their internal organs don't. It is typically recommended that one Goldie needs 20g & each additional Goldie needs 10g, so for 3 a 40g is the bare minimum & of course that depends on the type of Goldie.
they are Comets or Commons not sure, they were Labeled as "feeders". The 10 gallon is only a temporary tank, was bought as a starter and meant to be used as a quarantine/sick tank, the seal on the 30 they were in broke and the glass cracked, we are awaiting the arrival of another standard 40 .. The Hex is my Husband's and for whatever the reason he doesn't want the goldfish in it.....So until the standard 40 comes in... gotta work with what I have... I think his intention is to transplant the goldfish into the standard 40, Put Midnight back into the 10 and then set up his Hex with a couple of Angel fish... Not quite sure yet, because we do have a local golf course that is willing to take them for their Pond..

Last edited by SeaKnight; 05-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #4 
Laki

+1 about the goldfish.

Sounds like you're in for a real treat with the bettas! they're going to be so happy in their giant tanks :) Pics?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #5 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
they are Comets or Commons not sure, they were Labeled as "feeders". The 10 gallon is only a temporary tank, was bought as a starter and meant to be used as a quarantine/sick tank, the seal on the 30 they were in broke and the glass cracked, we are awaiting the arrival of another standard 40 .. The Hex is my Husband's and for whatever the reason he doesn't want the goldfish in it.....So until the standard 40 comes in... gotta work with what I have... I think his intention is to transplant the goldfish into the standard 40, Put Midnight back into the 10 and then set up his Hex with a couple of Angel fish... Not quite sure yet, because we do have a local golf course that is willing to take them for their Pond..
Glad to hear it. Although you may want to find out for sure what they are as some that are sold as feeders should be in ponds. I've been tempted to get Goldie's but I like my plants too much.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #6 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
+1 about the goldfish.

Sounds like you're in for a real treat with the bettas! they're going to be so happy in their giant tanks :) Pics?
Don't have any just yet, but as soon as I do I will post...
Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #7 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Glad to hear it. Although you may want to find out for sure what they are as some that are sold as feeders should be in ponds. I've been tempted to get Goldie's but I like my plants too much.
That may be Why he doesn't want them in his tank is because he's trying to grow out some plants...
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 
SeaKnight

Ok, so the husband has decided to drop the goldies off to the Golf course where they will grow them out in their holding tank before releasing them into the pond... Now to just get the kids comfortable with the idea..
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #9 
shellieca

Oh that's wonderful. I think the Goldie's & you will be much happier. I think if you explain to the kids that its best for the Goldie's in order for them to grow up happy & healthy they'll understand.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #10 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Oh that's wonderful. I think the Goldie's & you will be much happier. I think if you explain to the kids that its best for the Goldie's in order for them to grow up happy & healthy they'll understand.
Yeah, and the great thing is that IF everything goes accordingly, because of the fact that the pond is located in a semi-open to the public area , we just might be able to "visit" occasionally....