Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
KareBear43

Unhappy Very sick betta. ls it time to say goodbye?

I am not sure what I am dealing with here. Possible internal bacteria or parasites. Or is it kidney failure? I hate to see him keep suffering if there is nothing else I can do.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta Plus Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day since he's been sick just once a day and some of the time I fasted him

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? extremely bloated (including gills), a 'growth' between his gill plates, black nodules on his dorsal and anal fins, frayed fins

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stays at the top, breathing is very labored He is still eating some.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 weeks ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes the first week I treated with aquarium salts with 100% water changes each day. No improvement. The second week I used Maracyn and epsom salts. Not much improvement. This past week I tried Maracyn II. The fin rot is better but he is still very bloated.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. He has had swim bladder disease. He has had fin rot along with the severe bloating.
The Maracyn cleared up the previous case of fin rot, but since then he has always been a little bloated.
How old is your fish (approximately)? got him August 2011 so 2-3 years old
KareBear43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would like to see a picture. I do note that he is old, but there could still be a chance for him given the right diagnose and treatment.

For his SBD, have you ever tried Epsom Salt?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi, I'd like to see a photo, too. (Like lilnaugrim requested.)

Some comments:

1) Aquarium salt is great for external issues. However, it can cause fluid retention and bloating.

2) Maracyn contains an antibiotic that targets gram positive bacteria. Many organisms that infect fish are caused by gram negative bacteria.

3) Epsom salt is great at treating internal issues. It should have helped reduce bloating issues. What dosage did you use, and for how long?

4) Maracyn 2 contains a good gram negative antibiotic. Unfortunately, it's been around awhile, so some organisms are resistant to it. However, it seems to have been effective against your guy's fin rot.

5) Ammonia is slightly high at 0.25ppm. Have you run a test on your tap water? I'd like to know if it's coming into your house this way, or if your fish is producing a high amount of ammonia.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 
KareBear43

I think I may have spoken too soon about the fin rot. I noticed today that he has a very small hole in his anal fin. It doesn't look like he has lost anymore of his tail, but it is getting frayed again. No regrowth that I can tell.

I checked the water coming out of the tap and the ammonia reading for it was 0.25. On the epsom salts, I gave him 1 tsp each day when I changed the water. I believe that I gave it to him for about 5 days.

Pictures to follow.......
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 
KareBear43

Pictures

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  34.8 KB
Old 05-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 
KareBear43

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  62.7 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  35.2 KB
Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 
KareBear43

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  56.1 KB
Old 05-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #8 
10asartin

He is displaying severe pineconing and is most likely a sign of organ failure. I really can't imagine him living much longer, but who knows. Some people can bring their pineconing fish back from the brink, but considering he is an older fish I don't think it will be feasible.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote