Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 
samanthacollier

Question :( My Betta Died - What Next...

So my poor little Betta, Rocky, has passed away. I found him this morning at 3am.

I'm not sure what happened but it looked like he had fin rot (black tips on his fins), he was probably over fed (my fault) and I think he might have been hurt when I used a fish net on him. I also transferred him to a 5 Gallon Tank from a 1 Gallon fish bowl. The downfall began when I transferred him to his 5 Gallon tank. He died within one day of transferring him. None of the bad side effects happened until after he was in the big tank.

My question to you: How do I start again? What do I do now? I want to buy a new Betta but I'm so scared of hurting him. I have this beautifully set up tank with heater, filter, live plants, etc. - Can I put another Betta in there as is? Do I need to clean it out?

I didn't have a PH tester and I want to get one to make sure the water wasn't bad.

My daughter is going to be waking up soon (6 years) and she is going to be devastated.

I should also mention I bought the Betta about 7 days ago from a local pet store. He was very active when I got him and didn't seem sick.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.
samanthacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there and very sorry to hear about your boy! It's never fun seeing it like that.

I do have a few questions though, did you use Water Conditioner for the new water? Also did you acclimate him well to the new tank?

To make it safe for another Betta, I would just take it all down, Keep the plants in either the old tank or an old bucket where they can get light. Either from the sun or from a tank light will be fine so they stay alive.

Rinse out the gravel and the tank, let all of it dry out in the sun if you can so that it naturally sterilizes anything that would be living there to infect another fish. Since fin rot isn't as bad as other diseases you may find, drying things out will be adequate :)

Also, do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? Here's a sticky on how to cycle your tanks: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

It is safe to put a new Betta into the tank while it is cycling but you really need to watch out for ammonia getting too high. I suggest you buy a Master Kit, it's going to be cheaper to get the whole thing rather than get individual tests. Also don't use the test strips because they are very inacurrate, the liquid tests are what you want.

If you have access to a credit card, buying the test kit online is generally cheaper, although you do have shipping so buying multiple things will be worth it if you do decide. Here's the cheapest one I can find: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...54&pcatid=4454 In stores that's going to be about 30 bucks.

I hope this helps some and feel free to ask more questions if nothing makes sense :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #3 
shellieca

Sorry for your loss. You can get a new Betta any time IMO. I suspect that his death was more due to shock than disease. When you added him to the new tank did you properly acclimate him? Float him in a baggie or container, add a tablespoon of tank water every 15 minutes for at least an hour? If not then he could've been too shocked by the change in water from what he was used to. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ph but you should have a liquid test kit such as the API Master Test Kit, cheaper on Amazon than at a local store, so you can monitor ammonia, nitrites & nitrates while your new tank is cycling, especially if you decide to cycle it with a fish. Good luck & I'm sure your next Betta will very happy in the tank you have set up.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 
samanthacollier

Thank you both for your feedback.

I did use the water conditioner I got from the store but maybe I didn't leave it in long enough? Also, I did acclimate him but not the way you said - I did 10 minutes in the tank in a bag, ten minutes with a bit of the new water, 10 more minutes with a bit more and then I let him in. It was a total of 30 minutes.

I'm going to get one of those testing kits before I get a new Betta and clean out the tank.

Rocky had so much personality! I miss him! It's amazing how these little guys grow on you.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They really do! I love each and every one of my boys/girls, all of their personalities are just so different and it truly is amazing!

I think it was still the shock of the new water still, there could have been a big pH difference or a temperature difference. But you now know for next time :)
Generally for new Betta's I'll acclimate for an hour or more just because I know the water chemistry is different 45 minutes up the road. So always just best to err on the side of caution :)

And as far as conditioner goes, once you put it in, you're good to go. I know one of my friends is really paranoid and lets her water sit for like an hour before she puts it into the tank. I fill up a bucket, add the conditioner in while it's still filling and then just go ahead and pour it in, I've never had problems with it.

There also could have been problem's with Rocky before you got him and the change might have just been stressful enough that he got worse. Just kind of spit balling ideas now. But it's not guaranteed that one Betta from the same store will have the same illness at all, so don't worry too much about that too :)

Good luck with the endeavors and keep us posted or feel free to ask other questions when it comes time :)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #6 
samanthacollier

Thank you very much!

How about water cycling and water changes? When I first put the new little guy in there, how often should I change the water afterwards? And how much should I change? I've heard all sorts of information but I trust this thread much more.

Can I keep him in there when I'm changing the water?

Right now, I have two live plants and two silk. I'd like to put more live - is that okay? Are there any kind of live plants that they prefer?

Last question: I'm using the water filter that came with the 5 gallon tank. Is it possible that the current is too strong? Rocky looked like he was struggling in there but I did have areas of the tank that were calmer.

Sorry for the hundreds of questions - I just want to make sure for next time I get it right. I still feel so awful about it. :(
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No worries bout the hundred questions! It just means you're getting a novel back in replies haha.

Okay for cycling your tank, basically what's happening with that is that you are growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria, or BB. It takes about a month to grow them and there are several ways you can do it. There are two popular ways though, one is having the fish in the tank, and another is without fish.

You can put your Betta in there but you need some sort of test kit with ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. You need to keep the ammonia down and never let it go over .25ppm. Once you see it hit .25ppm, you need to do a small water change, this might happen every few days so this is why it's prefered to do a Fishless Cycle if you can, but don't worry about it if you can't. There are plenty of us on here that use Fish to cycle our aquariums :)

Visit this link again, read the first posts and then comment #4 to get an idea about cycling. You're more than welcome to read the others if you like as well :D http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

But after your tank is cycled, on water change a week will be perfectly fine for him, about 25% of the water. You need to use a siphon so you can get through the gravel to clean it thoroughly.

And yes you can keep him in while changing water, many Betta's will flare at the siphon or try to bite it (my girls do lol) but they'll be fine. However if you're doing a 100% change, then yes, you need to take him out :)

You can have as many plants as you want! The more live plants the better! You can also get any plants you like. Some of the more easy ones that don't need much fertilizer are Java Ferns, Anubias, Hornwort, Anacharis, some Crytocornes and wendtii (although most red plants need very high lighting, but they'll just be green if you don't have high lighting), water wisteria is a great one and Water Sprite.

Just be careful that when plants start to rot, just clip off those leaves either with scissors or with your finger nail so they don't pollute the water :) Some plants will "melt" when you put them in, but don't worry it's just getting used to the water and will grow back leaves soon.

There are two types of baffles that I like to use, here is my favorite: The water bottle Baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
And then the sponge baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100

Oh also, the more live plants you have, the easier it is to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down because plants feed off of those things. Well specifically nitrates, but ammonia is converted to nitrites with the help of the BB and then nitrites are converted to nitrates which can be taken out with water changes and plants eat them. So if you've got lots of plants, you won't have to worry too much about cycling :D
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I bought my API Master Test Kit on eBay for $17.99 + free shipping. Mine absolutely love the Cabomba; Willie sleeps in his.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #9 
samanthacollier

Thank you for your advice - you rock!

I've been to the store, followed your advice to a tee, and have a brand new red betta we've named King.

He's super feisty and very active. I'm floating the bag in our tank right now.

I just noticed he has one black speck on his body on his left side. Is it possible that this is a freckle? Should I be worried?

I can post a picture afterwards but it's just one pinpoint black speck.

So excited to have our new King. Hoping and praying he's okay.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #10 
samanthacollier

Here's King and the black freckle