Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

I can see where Riverotter comes from.

Most people on here would blanch at paying for a puppy mill puppy or a kitten they saw at the pet store. Does that stop kittens/puppies being sold at these places? No, so what is the point of not buying that kitten/puppy then, if it is not going to have any impact on their sale in pet stores?

It's an ethics thing for some people, like me and possibly like Riverotter.

I will not put money in the hands of stores or breeders who mistreat their fish, or try to pass off fish that should have been culled as something worth paying money for. I find it poor business practice, and I choose not to support it.

While it may make a different to that one fish, you have to also consider the broader picture. There has been a lot more awareness in regards to puppy mills of late, because people chose to look at the bigger picture and realise that you can't just keep purchasing these animals to 'rescue' them as you are only perpetuating the problem.

Get enough people that think like this, and then you can make a change.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #22 
Skyewillow

Cull means to remove from breeding purposes. It comes in the form of sterilizing, euthanizing, or sale to a non-breeding home.

I buy breeder culls. If I could go back, I'd still buy my girls. I'd buy the dt too if I had the space. The breeder will most likely still sell culls, and as long as they'll live without pain, they're doing what lots of dog, cat, rabbit, goat, etc breeders are doing.

I'm with matt on this one, I don't kill for appearance.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

I think bettas with extreme physical deformities like the bad toplines on those fish should be culled/killed.

Certainly, they should not be bred. But I have noticed that if people pay a decent amount of money for something, they usually get the idea that what they have purchased is quality. Even if it isn't.

For a fish, this could mean that somewhere down the track they decide they have to breed their betta because after all it came from overseas and cost quite a bit of money so it has to be quality. Because Thai breeders only sell the best stock right?

Then what happens if the offspring come out looking normal? Those bad genes may get further perpetuated because someone decides to breed a sibling pair, and they end up with mostly cull worthy fish, but a couple of nice ones as well. Then the cycle just keeps repeating itself.

I think there are enough poorly bred bettas out there, without the risk of a cull you have bred adding to their numbers.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #24 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks everyone now I understand what cull means.

Syke I fall in love with Lumpy, how is he doing ? That lump on his head made he even more adorable I was so close to getting him but its best I only have one Betta right now since I spend alot time to my sons house and when I am going to be gone more them two days I pack up Perseus and take him with me, I am to nervous to leave him longer then two days...lol
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #25 
Rosewynn

I always was under the impression that the 'cull worthy' fish for sale on AB were results from breeding a perfectly formed pair and were just accidents (I feel bad saying that as I personally like fish who look imperfect myself) that they could still make some money off of selling to those who only collect fish as pets. They're actually breeding poor top lines etc. on purpose? I am confused.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #26 
Skyewillow

I highly doubt that they're breeding bad fish intentionally, because then they wouldn't have fish that they could sell for $60+.

Whenever you breed animals, some of them just don't come out quite right. Often it's from too much inbreeding (which is what Linda Olson had told me about my girls' heads), some of it is just a fluke, improper development or what not. Things like missing ventrals are believed to be caused by issues with grow out tank hygiene.

MOST breeders will euthanize animals with serious issues, like bad swim bladders, or neurological disorders. Some euthanize cosmetic culls, other breeders decide to get their money back from them and sell them to pet homes. That's why fish like the 3 I've posted are pretty cheap.

HOWEVER, I still see a lot of fish out there with "snake" or "dragon" eyes. Is anyone emailing them about it? I can't imagine their eyesight will be any good as the opacity spreads across the lens of their eye, one of my guys is already having issues with it, and he's nowhere near as bad as the ones I've seen on eBay and Aquabid.

They're still culls, but the difference between my "ugly" girls, and those DS eyed fellas is that Aweenas never pretended that it was "cool" or "rare" for them to be like this, while the sellers of DS eyed fish are telling people that they're super rare and worth $90. You're paying for a fish who will most likely go blind in the long run.

Personally, that makes them worse than the people who sell pet quality bettas.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #27 
Skyewillow

Just to be clear:
I understand and accept the sale of appearance culls to an extent, I'm just saying that some of the culls popping up are getting to be a bit extreme.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #28 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I agree- if you are selling cull fish then the buyer should be made aware.

Fish with serious congenital issues that cause them pain should be humanly put down. The thought of killing a perfectly healthy fish who doesn't have those perfect looks disgusts me though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #29 
Skyewillow

I'm pretty goofy looking, and I don't have the greatest of health, but I'd be darn upset if someone wanted to euthanize me for my appearance!

That's probably the biggest reason that I buy them, I'm allowed to live even though I'm not a perfect human being, and as long as they're not in pain, they should be allowed to live too!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #30 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I agree too Skye and that is so terrible about the eyes and OMG they are saying these poor little fish are rare, in order to get more money for them... I am just sick to hear that...*big sigh*

Last edited by Perseusmom; 05-20-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote