Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #1 
Halfmoondoubletail

Newbie question

I have had my betta Rainbow for two months. He is in a 1 gallon bowl with a hood and light but with no heater. Do I really need a heater for him or will he be fine with the way things are now?? Also he was a very pretty pale pink when I bought him and now he is almost completely dark blue... Is that normal? The color change happened so suddenly after my cat had been trying to catch him that I am worried that it might be stress related. My cat is now nowhere near him but his color hasn't changed back and has been like this for almost a week... Should I be worried?
Halfmoondoubletail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #2 
Halfmoondoubletail

Any advice would be welcome. I really love my baby and I want him to be happy and okay.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

You really need a heater unless you live in the tropics, or your house is consistently heated both day and night to 82 degrees.

Bettas are tropical fish and require tropical temperatures. Fluctuations in temperature by even a few degrees can be stressful if they are rapid, and in a 1 gallon bowl the small volume of water means temperature swings happen very quickly. Diseases such as columnaris and parasites such as ich/velvet are known to be triggered by temperature fluctuations as the fish's immune system becomes weaker and it can't fight anything off.

The colour change could be normal, some bettas can change colour. They are called marbles and the effect can be quite dramatic. However, maybe a picture would be best if you are worried.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #4 
Halfmoondoubletail

I will post a picture in the morning. I have a before and an after shot. I don't have access to a computer right now Or else I would post pics. I will look into a heater and maybe a bigger tank for him
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

A 1 gallon is fine as long as it is heated and as long as you maintain it correctly.

The only issue is that the 1 gallon may not be able to fit in a heater if it is a bowl. Most of the heaters aimed at bowls, are non-adjustable and only heat to a set degree above room temperature. They are pretty useless and be sure not to waste your money on one. You want a heater that is adjustable and has a thermostat and automatic shut-off as this is going to keep your water temperature nice and stable.

In the interim, if you do some googling on 'marble bettas', this may help you see if what has occurred is marbling or not.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Yeah, a heater is needed unless you live in Thailand or near the equator. Even if its warm year round, temps tend to dip at night or if you have AC. Tempature swings are just as bad for bettas as no heater at all.

However finding one that will fit into a 1 gallon may be a bit of a challange. Many are simply too big but there are some out there that will work
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #7 
Halfmoondoubletail

Littlebettafish: I saw some images that looked like my rainbow before. But not exact and the pattern is irregular so I am not sure I will definitely post pics in the morning.

Tiki: thank you for the advice. Most likely I will get a bigger tank with a heater for him
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #8 
sainthogan

The other advantage to having a bigger tank is that you don't have to clean them as often, so they are easier to take care of. With your 1 gallon, you should be cleaning the tank at least 3 times a week, with my 5 gallon, I only have to clean it once a week.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #9 
Halfmoondoubletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
The other advantage to having a bigger tank is that you don't have to clean them as often, so they are easier to take care of. With your 1 gallon, you should be cleaning the tank at least 3 times a week, with my 5 gallon, I only have to clean it once a week.

oh, i have only been cleaning the tank once a week... so 3 times a week is right?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 
Halfmoondoubletail

so this is what he looked like when i first bought him.

and this is what he looks like now ( sorry the pics are so bad, i need to find my camera so phone pics will have to do for now)