Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Question I need some ways to get cash!

I'm just a kid and I need some money for supplies for my bettas. Normally I can just do chores around the house but I don't get that much... I was considering Babysitting... any ideas?
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Babysitting is a good one, maybe house-sitting if you're old enough. Dog/cat sitting is also a good one if you like them.

Doing yard work during the summer, i.e. raking leaves or mowing lawns. I get lots of money for mowing neighbor's lawns. Start with family and work your way out.

Maybe if there is a local paper route that needs hiring? Ride around on a bike and deliver papers lol, just an idea.

And, I think that's all I got for you for now
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

-Babysitting
-Bottles
-Lawn mowing
-Snow shoveling
-Selling old toys
-Chores

If I think of anymore I will tell you.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Hmm, all good ideas. i do have some toys I don't really want, and I could probably pull off petsitting too. Thanks for the ideas! My parents are ok with Babysitting so petsitting should be ok, though I'm not sure about house-sitting.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, bottles. I don't know if your area participates in it, but some of the grocery stores around here allow you to return cans and bottles and you get about 5 cents for them. But if you return a bunch of them, you could be makin' some good cash there. I take walks and collect the cans off the side of the road, so free cans, cleaning the roads, getting exercise and money! lol Of course, you need a ride there and the store does take out "taxes" for them sometimes so you won't get the full price, but you can get good money still.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Have you considered a garage sale? A good garage sale can bring in big $$$$. The best way to do it is a multifamily sale with baby and child "stuff". Maybe see if family and friends would be interested in participating.

You might also consider offering up your services as a housekeeper to friends and family. I remember cleaning a couple family members houses when I was maybe 11 to make some extra $$$. I think I charged like $20-$30 to clean the whole house (vacuum, wash windows, dust/oil wood surfaces, and disinfect the bathrooms).

A friend of mine's little sister sold candy bars on the street corner too when I was growing up. There are different laws about selling on street corners some areas require permits, but she would go to bulk discount stores and get a bunch of candy and then sell it with a mark up to make a profit. A lot of times she would do it near parks, and she'd keep it in a cooler to keep the candy kinda cool. I think she sold drinks as well. I can't remember, it was probably 20 years ago.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 
Happyhobbit

My area does not do bottles, which is too bad. I kind of have a house sitting job now for my grandparents. It makes me feel a little bad, making them pay me to work for them! lol Garage sales could work, we have those a lot during the summer!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't worry, if they want to pay you, you accept it. It took me a while to realize that, but grandparents want to help out all their children and their grandchildren. And they usually don't have kids to take care of so they generally have a little bit more money to give. I usually mow lawn for my grandmother during the summer, although this year I can't because she's got a few more payments and additions to her house and she actually likes to mow her lawn haha. But never argue, just take the money lol

And yeah, garage sales are great if you do it in the right area! I can tell you, if you or a family member lives in a main road, or right off a main road, that's where you want to do it. We go "Yard sailing" a lot, lol it's what we call it. But just looking for lots of yard sales and it's a pain to be following 10 million signs to a small house in the middle of the woods lol So that's just a bit more of my advice :D

I'll certainly contact you if I find or think of anything else! You could also try to "Google" things too to see if we missed anything :)
Old 05-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #9 
Riverotter

Never give your age online, it's not safe - so, without knowing exactly....

When I was 10, I'd walk dogs to exercise them for their owners. There's actually decent money in that, and my parents knew I was safer walking dogs then I would have been walking by myself. I also did recycling.
At 12, I made extra money doing yardwork and I started babysitting around that age.
By 14, I didn't just walk dogs, I pet sat as well. I'd bring in mail, water plants, feed fish, clean the litter box - there's a good bit of call for that, folks can board dogs but someone has to come to your house to feed your parrot.
By 16, I also cleaned houses and even did a bit of handy-work. If you can really neatly paint a bathroom or closet, or pull hair out of a drain, most folks don't want to call in a pro for such small jobs, but are happy to pay you if you're already working for them some other way anyway.
~but about that, if someone hires you to walk the dog, and then asks you to do ANYTHING extra - be sure to charge! If they say "Oh, on your way past, pick up the mail", or "While you're in the backyard, why don't you scoop the poop as well" Always say "Sure, I charge $X for that service!" right off the bat. Otherwise you will find that someone is paying you to do one thing, and you spend an extra hour there doing all manner of just little bitty things and you're not getting paid (and later in life, you'll find most employers will try to take advantage the same way, so this is good practice)

But be sure to have a parent check out every client!! Once there was this creepy guy who asked some really inappropriate questions - I had my Dad screen all my clients after that. Always be careful and stay safe.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, completely agree with Riverotter. We also have a creepy guy in our neighborhood that was convicted of a few things but sometimes you just don't know! That's why I like to start off with family, kind of get the word out there and then you can ask your family if they know any of their friends who needs help as well. That's how I got the house job for my Grandmother's second cousin! lol I get paid 25 bucks a night to sleep! I'm an Official Mattress Tester XD

Of course, generally I think it's safer to be older for those kinds of things, but just telling you my story to give you something to think about :D

But yeah, also got another job for my Aunt's husband's sister...yeah that's a mouthful XD But I'm pet sitting and house sitting for her. (Great news is she's got two fish tanks that she has no idea what to do with and might hire me to clean out her tanks as well weekly! So that's always something you can do as well. She might also want a Betta Sorority! Sorry, I'm just so excited at that! lol I had to share!!)